Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it finally arrived! I will be posting a photographic journal of progress on my new 75 gallon all-glass aquarium. I cant wait to hear everyones ideas and input. Here are some of the first pics.

Here is the stand after the first coat of sealer

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Kevin,

Congratulations! How exciting!

Very nice work on the stand. Did you do it yourself?

P.S. Flourite is on its way.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stand was build by a cabinet maker, I only put the sealer on :oops:

SteveP came over today and really helped me out getting the tank set up and running. And he brought me some plants to get started! Thanks again Steve! The only lighting I have now is two shop light fixtures with some 6500K bulbs. Comes out to about two watts/gallon. Soon I will be ordering four of AHSupply's 2x55 watt compact flourescents. I am very excited. CO2 will be coming as well. I will post up some more pics tomorrow after I pick up some more plants from the LFS. Dont know what the selection will be like for lower light plants there, but they should have some java fern at least. I also have a rock and some driftwood that I will be adding. More pics to come :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the rock I want to use. Does anyone know what it may be? It has some metalic sparkle to it so I dont know if I should use it or not. I got it from a friend who had it in a saltwater tank many years ago. It has been on his back porch since then. Any ideas?

Edit: I have decided not to use that rock.

·
Registered
645 Posts
That tank is begging for some nice driftwood! Pour muriatic acid on the rock if it fizzes its no good.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well here she is....added some driftwood and more plants. Hopefully my LFS will get some more in soon too. I would love to hear everyones comments/ideas.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont know why it does that sometimes. If you right click where the image should be and then hit "show picture" it shows up. Sorry :oops:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Updated shot from today 3.12.04. I have added some anubias nana, java moss, dwarf chain sword....and i think thats about it. My bacopa carolina and water sprite is starting to come back from the bleach treatment they got. Dwarf chain, c.wendtii, and banana plant are not doing to great. I plan to go to petsmart and buy some of whatever they have thats fast growing. I think I still need more plants in there just to get it started. I think they have some cambomba? at petsmart. I bought out my LFS and they wont be getting anything for another couple weeks :-(

A big thanks to Shannon for the Anubia and Java moss!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got some more plants from Steve on Friday and now I think that its looking really good. Anyone have any comments on the layout or look?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Kevin,

Looking good. Sorry the Flourite didn't get there in time.

I think the tank is looking very good. Let me ask you, did you have a composition in mind when you set it up? I'm asking because this will dictate your trimming technique once the plants kick-in.

What fertilizer regimen are you following?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Art! The flourite got here at the perfect time actually. I am going to use it in my ten gallon :)

No no composition in mind except a really good looking planted tank. Fertilizing regime is: 4.1 grams of KNO3 twice a week, 2ml Fleet enema twice a week, and 15ml Flourish twice a week. 2 watts per gallon and DIY CO2 for now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
302 Posts
What are you planning for that piece of slate?Right now, it could be a stray skippin rock. I'd say let the plants grow around it, or let java moss grow on it. It could double as a spawning site for the rams.

Also, is that a blue gourami in the pic?

Otherwise it looks great!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good idea! I have a wal-mart lilly bulb next to the slate now and was hoping it would grow kinda over it, but it hasnt sprouted yet. Yes thats my dwarf blue gourami in the pic. Its a male. I wish I could get ahold of a female. From what I have read I think the females are not very colorful and the stores around here all have males :-( Know anywhere I might could get a female?

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Check around mom N pop stores and look in Walmart if you dare. Sometimes strays sneak in.

If all else fails aquariumfish.net offers females too(you will have ask though).

BTw, what do you mean by"Grow over the rock". I've never heard of anyone attaching bulbs to driftwood, slate would be even less likely.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I put the bulb next to the slate and was hoping the leaves might spread out and shade the slate kinda. We'll see what happens. I will probably get some more plants later this week too. I dont know what the focal point is going to be. Its my first big tank so I am kinda just hoping everything grows right now. Once everything settles in I can start to make changes. I agree it sure would be great to have a pair of rams breeding on that slate though!

On a sadder note, my wonderful gourami died this morning from unknown causes. He wasnt looking good last night. Poor guy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In the Blue Gourami's, the males and the females are equally as colorful. I have a pair in my tank. If you want just one and one make sure there is LOTS of cover for the female to duck away from the males relentless attention, if you know what I mean.

The easiest way to sex them is the male will have a much more elongated dorsal fin then the short rounded dorsal of the female. The can accurately be sexed from aorund 1" and up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts