Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ooh - that's very nice, so far. It looks so much bigger than it actually is! I saw no mention of plans for CO2 injection (or maybe I just didn't see it). It's a good idea to have that, even if it's just DIY.

I also have a 2.5-gallon planted tank, going for almost three years, but re-scaped more times than I could count. Last year I put a few pieces of E. parvulus in it, and it overtook the entire tank. I was only using 8W of normal-output fluorescent light, and I'd imagine with 13W PC, the stuff would spread like wildfire. If you want to keep it constrained to one particular area of the tank, you're going to have to watch it like a hawk. Same goes for E. tenellus and anything else that propagates by runners.

The petit nana is a good idea, but with that much light, you're going to need to fertilize diligently. Mine starts growing out hole-ridden leaves if I let it run low on ferts. C. parva will be happy with the lighting, but without a rich substrate, it's also going to need ferts in the water column.

In case you're interested, here are some of the plants I've had (or still have) in my 2.5-gallon that I've been pleased with:

Anubias 'petit'
Bacopa monnieri
Cryptocoryne pygmaea
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Tropica'
Lobelia cardinalis 'small form'
Lysimachia nummularia 'aurea'

I like them because they are either very slow-growing or remain small. Stem plants with diminutive leaves like pearl grass can look really nice in tiny tanks as long as you keep up with maintenance. These spread fast, however, that they may be more trouble than they're worth. If I had to choose one "fast-grower" I would probably go with R. indica. It adds some reddish hues to the aquascape and won't creep everywhere the way pearl grass does.

Right now I'm trying out some Hottonia palustris. I think maybe the tank is too warm and the lighting is too dim so it's not growing big leaves, but it looks healthy enough. I'll know in a couple of weeks if I give it thumbs-up or boo-hiss as a nano-tank inhabitant.

Have you thought of trying riccia tied down to rocks as groundcover? If Elatine triandra were not such a delicate plant, I'd think it would make the ideal low-lying groundcover in a nano, but it seems that the stuff doesn't do well unless the macros are REALLY high. Moss would be nice, too. I'm trying erect moss in my 2.5-gallon tank right now. I tied it on to some small rocks. Again, I'll know in a couple of weeks if I like it or not.

Good luck with planting that tank! Tiny tanks really are fun, but you have to plan more carefully, I think. BTW, my dwarf hairgrass got as tall as 5" so you may want to work it in as a mid- to background plant. I think you're going to end up with something really nice, there.

-Naomi

1 - 1 of 1 Posts