Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
We apologize to our California members for the political ads apparently seen on APC in the recent days. Unfortunately it looks like someone paid alot of money to google to get these ads, and there is nothing in our power to do about it.

These ads should hopefully disappear in the next couple of days. If it comes up, you can try refreshing the page and another ad should come up. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience.

·
Registered
195 Posts
A compaint can't be placed with CrowdGather to control the types of ads that get posted? Regardless of your opinion of Prop 8, political ads of any type are out of place on an aquatic plant site.

We apologize to our California members for the political ads apparently seen on APC in the recent days. Unfortunately it looks like someone paid alot of money to google to get these ads, and there is nothing in our power to do about it.

These ads should hopefully disappear in the next couple of days. If it comes up, you can try refreshing the page and another ad should come up. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
You can complain to Google. Crowdgather can complain to Google. The outcome will be the same - it won't change, at least for this particular ad. The staff agrees with you, and we have looked into the options available to us since it's been brought to our attention - and yes, there is nothing either we or CG can do to remove the ad.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Its not just these ads but others as well. I find it hard to believe that CrowdGather doesn't have control over what ads are being displayed on the forums.

Ever since Crowdgather took over the forums, I've seen that this has become more of a money making site to them than anything else. I also notice how all the forums have been moved and changed around, also the Swap section got moved down to the very bottom...interesting

But who knows, I may me wrong.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
The rearrangement of the forums was done mainly from recommendations by the moderators.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
As another poster said, even political forums opposed to prop 8 had google ads on their site. No one has control over google ads other than Google. Let's put that to rest right now.

As for APC becoming a 'money-making' site - other than google ads added to augment what little is made off of sponsors, there really has been no change in the advertising on the site. Let's put that to rest now as well. Unless you want to make mandatory 'subscriptions' like other planted websites, there is no other way to cover the costs of keeping forums like this up in terms of maintanence and bandwitdth. I personally don't see how CG makes money off of forum websites myself looking at a glance the amount of money per month per website. Unless you know how much money-investment and time (which also equals money) it takes to run a website, lets keep the public speculation to a minimum.

The forum changes were made to make the site more user-friendly and to provide the most useful information at the top. There is no real useful information in For Sale or Trade posts. That's why they are at the bottom. There is no 'ulterior' motive other than to improve the usefulness of the site and making the most pertinent information available at the top of the page in this age of 10 second attention spans.

We posted and replied to this thread to keep our members aware of measures we are doing to make APC as user-friendly as possible. If people question our actions and second-guess our intentions, I'd like to make it clear that the moderators of this forum are actively trying to keep APC focused on the the planted aquarium hobby and keeping APC as one of the most useful forums for the hobby, regardless of ownership of the site. Suffice it to say we're listening to what members have to say and doing what we have in our power to change APC to the forum.

This thread is closed, if anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.