Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I just propagated my Eriocaulon cinereum for the first time and did a little photo documentation of it. It doesn't seem like a very common plant in the U.S., but is really cool and can be had from any LFS that can order from Oriental Aquarium. Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nice post and very helpful thank you. I have been growing this plant for a few months and it is probably time that I did the same thing. I really love this plant I just wish it would grow a little faster.

Robert.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't have this plant, but I'm curious:

Is it important that the red part gets divided? What is that red part?

·
Registered
106 Posts
HI,

This is the case when we propagate Eriocaulon, be it cinerium or other sp. And sometimes it takes more than a few months to have one split like that......

Cheeers
Vincent

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is kind of reddish pink, and I didn't even know it was there till I divided the plant. I think it is just a really short runner or something because it is a rosette plant, but that is what attaches the two plants together.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a picture of them in my tank...they are still pretty small, but they have about doubled in quantity in the almost 2 months I have had them. They are realllllllllyyyyyy slow growers, so they don't look like much yet. They have really extensive root systems and are VERY heavy root feeders.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Thanks to Erirku for trading such a nice example of this plant recently, I was able to perform this "surgery" myself and yielding 5 plants from one. The biggest tipoff that it is ready are the leaf blades growing in opposite directions of one another. Below is a picture of where I made some of my cuts.

Attachments

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
whoa!! this thread came back from the dead

I'm glad that my photos helped some people :) ...now I just wish my Eriocaulon was as small as it used to be

·
Registered
90 Posts
This is an intriguing plant. From the pics, it looks almost like a terrestrial succulent - sort of aloe vera-ish. Is that accurate? Since you indicated you wish it was still as small, how big does it get? Yeah, I could go look it up...

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
glenhead said:
This is an intriguing plant. From the pics, it looks almost like a terrestrial succulent - sort of aloe vera-ish. Is that accurate? Since you indicated you wish it was still as small, how big does it get? Yeah, I could go look it up...
I suppose it does look a bit lie aloe vera, only with a more uniform leaf structure. The plants I have and have seen range from 1"-2" in height and about 2"-3" in width. It requires softwater to grow well or even at all perhaps. I am using it as a midground in a 5.5 gallon tonina tank I setup recently.

Lowcoaster (Charely) on aquabid has it from time to time; 3 plants for $12 + shipping I believe is his pricing. It all comes from Singapore no matter who has it on aquabid usually. There are a few members on here who keep this plant. Perhaps more of them are willing to trade? Whenever it gets posted for sale it is gone within a couple hours.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
This one's for Erirku. I promised him I'd post of picture of all the plants I was able to obtain from the one he sent me. For perspective it is in a 5.5 gallon tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Wow, I think that is the Eriocaulon that I sent Erirku in January. I didn't think it would divide like that because 75% of my plants have since flowered and died. [smilie=f: I wish that more online sellers would take notice of some of the cool new plants available like Eriocaulons, I think the American market is ripe for them.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Thanks grandmasterofpool of the pic. Can't wait to see an update of your tank. It just looks absolutely fabolous :).
Thanks Fishfry for that wonderful opprtunity to win your auction.

·
Registered
493 Posts
another think on e. cinerium - some places notes that it has to be in 22c or lower - main is growing well in 27c...

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
richy said:
does anyone have this plant for sale? pm me if you do. thanks.

-r
Email Lowcoaster on aquabid. He has it in stock 3 for $12.00 + shipping. It's hard to beat that price.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts