Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Proper Pruning

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Sunstar 
#1 ·
To those who have apparently found success with high light, high CO2, and ferts. Once you get this thing where everything is matched and your growth is optimum, how often do you have to prune? When I pruned, I was removing a significant amount of biomass. Do you trim lightly but very often or do you prune heavy less frequently. What is the best method of pruning to keep the right balance, and keep the tank looking at its best.

#2 ·
I'm almost not qualified to answer this, but I will anyway. ;)

I trimmed moderately to heavily every two weeks. I did not trim all the plants at once. I did a few one day, a few more a couple days later, and the remainder a few days after that. As a result, my system did not go though a large change in biomass all at once. However, this method was more regulated by the plants rather than by me. They were all ready for trims at different times.

-Dave

#3 ·
Hi Manwithnofish,

I typically trim once a month. The trimmings either go to the local aquarium society (Greater Seattle Aquarium Society) for their monthly auction or to a local fish store (GSAS sponsor). I run moderate light (2-3 WPG), CO2, and fertilize with DIY PPS Pro.

I have drastically reduced the amount of trimming I have to do by following a recommendation by Luis Navarro (APC member) who came to Seattle and did an excellent talk last spring. He talked about a "Green Tank" with less stem plants and more leaf plants like bolbitis, crypts, anubias, and java ferns.

#4 ·
I trim my tank weekly as each different plant needs it. I like "playing" in the tank so don't find this a problem. Since I am trimming weekly I don't have a huge reduction in biomass unless I go on vacation or something like that. When I do have to trim heavily I try to reduce the amount of ferts. I would not round each spoonful etc. I also would not reduce the amount of floating plants I have on the surface if I take a lot of my stem plants out by trimming.

#7 ·
I trim/prune as needed. The needs are dictated by the plants. I'm one of those who has a large number of Crypts and Anubias as well as slow growing stems. When the C. wendtii's overtake their alloted corner, about every 4-5 months, a huge bio-mass does come out of the water. I just make sure to do a major (70-80%) water change when I do this, and so far (knock on wood) I've never had any algae issues because of it.

#8 ·
I had to do a heavy hack and slash, improved my light but the tank looks tacky.

However, pruning when you feel it needs it, I look at the tank and if something irrates me now, just trim it off.

I trim off at a node (where the leaves are) keeping in mind my next prune will be at another node on the new branch. keep doing that and you'll get some nice bushes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.