Aquatic Plant Forum banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Banned
732 Posts
Why does the intense lighting require C02 supplementation?
I don't think anyone knows for sure why or even if this is true but it is commonly thrown around as a potential cause for algae growth.
I think the theory is that if plants get what they need in a balanced way, then algae will stay at bay. If something is out of balance, the higher species of plants don't grow as well giving algae an opportunity to proliferate.
So higher light requires more nutrients to stay in balance (ie CO2 supplementation).

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Right now my 55g has 92 watts from 4x23W 6500L CFLS. Should I increase 4 bulbs? total of 8 bulbs?
what type of light are you trying to get? low,med, high? depends on what you want to grow.
I got medium light over my 29g with just 36w of t5 bulbs. just 2 t5 no bulbs got me medium lighting. :twitch: it's all about p.a.r., and lums in my opinion. also not all bulbs are created equal. I like ati and uv. coralifes are good but on the lower end. also are your plants growing? don't fix it unless it's broken.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Wanting to get high lighting. Everything is growing fine but I want my plants to look their best. I want the reds to be more redder and stronger light so it can penetrate to my foreground plants. Chart showed 108-200 or something like that and I was only at 92. I also wanted to grow HC and I don't think I can achieve that with only 4 CFLs 23w each.

what type of light are you trying to get? low,med, high? depends on what you want to grow.
I got medium light over my 29g with just 36w of t5 bulbs. just 2 t5 no bulbs got me medium lighting. :twitch: it's all about p.a.r., and lums in my opinion. also not all bulbs are created equal. I like ati and uv. coralifes are good but on the lower end. also are your plants growing? don't fix it unless it's broken.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello,

Wattage for aquarium confuses me a bit. How much is too much or enough?

Well, I have a 50 Gal, 20" tall, two T6 AH Supply 96w compact, 6700K. That is 3.84w/Gal. can alternate the tubes and have 1.92w/Gal. Tank is medium planted on its way to heavily planted, and just finished cycling. Soon I will install injected Co2 (actually have DIY).

I have read about T8, T5 an so on but the wattage rule does not partner for each type of illumination.

Is T6 3.84w too much? I am new at this, please someone get me out of my confusion:confused:

welcome any comments [smilie=b:

·
Banned
732 Posts
Hello,

Wattage for aquarium confuses me a bit. How much is too much or enough?

Well, I have a 50 Gal, 20" tall, two T6 AH Supply 96w compact, 6700K. That is 3.84w/Gal. can alternate the tubes and have 1.92w/Gal. Tank is medium planted on its way to heavily planted, and just finished cycling. Soon I will install injected Co2 (actually have DIY).

I have read about T8, T5 an so on but the wattage rule does not partner for each type of illumination.

Is T6 3.84w too much? I am new at this, please someone get me out of my confusion:confused:

welcome any comments [smilie=b:[/QUOTE]

I'd say you are OK the rule of thumb used to be 4 watts per gallon. So you are in the ball park.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have been reading and reading, here and everywhere else. Depending on where I look it seems I have either high light or too much light. However my hairgrass is growing up instead of out and is starting to look pretty rough. No pearling anywhere.

I have 2 T5HO 24w 6500K bulbs about 4in above the water on a 36g, about 17in from surface to substrate. The unit will allow me to put in 2 more bulbs. I am toying with throwing in another bulb, but of course I am uncertain if I already have too much light. I would like to be in the 3wpg-ish range.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just posted a new thread with an Aquarium Lighting Calculator spreadsheet I came up with. It uses tank dimensions and Lumens per Watt figures to estimate Lux at the bottom of the tank. And it gives ranges for "Very Low" - "Very High" light levels. It would be great if some peole could test it against their systems by posting dimensions, bulbs/wattages & their perception of the light levels they are getting.

I know Lux is not as good as PAR and the calculator can't take into account all factors, but it is a very quick estimate that should be much, much better than Watts per Gallon and doesn't require a meter or manual calculations.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
36 Posts
hadjici2 - I had not heard of PLL lights, but from what I found searching online it is a T5. The only lumens/watt figure I saw for PLL was 91 l/w.

When I plug stardard 90G tank dimensions into my calculator it says you are below even "Very Low" light. Do you currently have any plants growing in the tank?

·
Registered
178 Posts
hadjici2 - I had not heard of PLL lights, but from what I found searching online it is a T5. The only lumens/watt figure I saw for PLL was 91 l/w.

When I plug stardard 90G tank dimensions into my calculator it says you are below even "Very Low" light. Do you currently have any plants growing in the tank?
It is 90L not 90G.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry. I've got you at the low end of "High Light".

·
Registered
178 Posts
Would this lighting fixture be adequate for a 90L aquarium 60cm height? To grow DHG with co2.

Ebay number: 260833089112
NEW 48w 24" aquarium light 2 feet fixture T5 HO lamp

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have 140 watts of T8 lighting over my 55 gallon. 2-6500k 30w with 2700 lumens. 2-18,000k 40w with 1850 lumens. From base of lights to substrate is 22" the lights sit a few inches above the tank. Where would my lighting be on your scale? I am adding pressurized co2. Is my lighting efficient enough or am I wasting my co2? Thank you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
beginner >>>>I need help i have anubias and java fern in a 85 gal. tank what type of wattage would anyone suggest that i use?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oops, new I forgot something.

96w 6700k quad bulb coralife fixture on coralife legs
Open top tank
Photoperiod of 8hrs

Thanks for the comment john!
I have a Coralife 65w resting on the versa glass. Currently I am growing low light plants. I was thinking of getting the 96w coralife fixture. Are you using co2 with that?

:)

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have just joinded this group and browsed through this thread for the first time. I had had a lot of experience years ago with planted tanks and recently with reefs. An interesting here is a very common question being how many watts do I need of light. From my experience this is very clumsy way of looking at the lighting.

Compact Florescents were the crave when I had my last planted tanks. They have a great advantage over the old T-12's as they have a lot more wattage of light in a shorter amount of space. However if you actually measure efficiency in the form of PAR at the Substrate per Watt of power your lighting fixture produces you will find this is not always true. The problem with the Compacts are that design makes the use of reflectors less efficient than a straight tubed light.

Simularly even with old standard T-12's there was a wde range in the efficiency based upon the design of the lighting fixture. Going through the years you had white solid reflectors that were less efficient than polished aluminum reflectors, You also had individual reflectors for each bulb that were shaped in different ways varying the degree of there efficiency.

The next big move was to the T-5 bulbs that allowed more air space between bulbs allowing the efficiency of the reflectors to increase even more so. It is very easily possible to have a twin bulb 80 watt fixture with T-12 bulbs which gives you a PAR of 50 at the substrate level and another twin bulb 80 watt T-5 fixture that could give you 75 par at the substrate.

the next big advance in lighting comes with HO-T-5 bulbs. These are special designed T-5 bulbs that are designed to run at roughly 1/3 higher wattage than the conventional T-5 bulbs. The light output when compared on a per watt bases bases is also usually slightly higher but this is not always true. There is today a big difference between different bulb manufacturers on these bulbs and you can almost say you get what you pay for in most instances.

You also have numerous other things that fall into the equation. Par is nice means of measurement but it is only slightly better than Lumns. Fresh water plants need blue and red light in the photosynthetic frequencies for growth. But PAR includes all the wave lengths including many to the mid wave lenghts that are not utilized for photosynthesis. Similarly light sources like 18,000K or 20,000K are noit benifical for plants as they produce the blue light they need but produce close to no usable red light that they require.

Moving on you have other variables like which plants you have as well as how clear the water is. Some more acidic tanks will hold a yellowish tint from tameric acid that reduces the light getting to the substrate.

I personally cannot see a simple formula for determining the light requirements. Yes you can get into a rough range but you also have to do a lot of experimenting to see what works best in your situation.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts