Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way ot prpogate L. repens? If I top it will the old stem get bushy or is it best just to top, remove the bottom and replant. I would like to increase the size of my stand but it seems like a slower grower, atleast compared to indica or such plants. Thanks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My way of speeding up this is to lett i grow to the top of the tank, then it will start spreading out new growth from the internodes. After about a week, I have about 10-15 new steems to plant.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hanzo,

I'll give htat a try. They are almost to the surface anyway. One question though, will the new growth be submersed or emersed? Would it hurt anything for hte growth to hit my glass cover?

Thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
In my tank, the stem of the plant will never push true the surface of the water, instead it will just bend, and kinda float in the water sruface. So, all the new young steam will be submersed. I usually let them grow like this for a week, then cut of all the new and replace the old with the new.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Thats good advice. For your earlier question, I think toping the plant off and replant will give you faster growth. When you leave the bottom of the stem it takes longer for the new growth to appear. Why not do both?

·
Registered
199 Posts
IUnknown said:
Thats good advice. For your earlier question, I think toping the plant off and replant will give you faster growth. When you leave the bottom of the stem it takes longer for the new growth to appear. Why not do both?
I leave both unless I am tight for space. If I am tight for space and don't want to add another stem I just remove the old and replant the new clipping.

Matt

·
Registered
302 Posts
As with all stem plants, if you let them grow up to the top where they can get the most light, then they will just grow like crazy..but if you trim too early, it will stifle them.

·
Registered
739 Posts
hubbahubba, that depends on the environment, if there is sufficient lighting and CO2 in the water they can be cut back at any stage. The two reasons why plants grow fast when they hit the surface is more light and mostly, easier to access CO2. High lighting and high CO2 levels can give you similar results under water, but there is always a little advantage in getting CO2 from the air Vs water.

With this plant, I usually try to cut the longerst tips off early so that the lower stem starts to branch out, in the meanwhile other stems will cover the branch until it has bushed out. This is one of the best candidates IMO for cutting the tips off and leaving the base, it really bushes out a lot, if you can cut it in phases or replant the tips so to cover the base until it has filled in you will get the nicest growth IMO.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

1 - 8 of 8 Posts