Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fairly large Echinodorus bleheri in my tank. I recently received some correct advice here to improve its growth by inserting some root tabs in the substrate, and in the week since I did so its growth has definitely resumed where it once was "stalled".

Now, my question is when/if I should prune the large old leaves with long stems on it, which I understand to be from emersed growth. Many of them are affected to varying degrees by green spot algae (the plant probably has 20+ leaves). Should I go ahead and clip all of those off and leave only the young, clean leaves? I've so far only clipped off about 2-3 of the leaves with the worst algae. The new leaves are coming in much more sword-like in shape and with shorter stems than the growth it produced when I first got it (I understand this is mostly due to submersed growth and light intensity).

It also appears that the GSA problem has gotten a lot better. I doubled the amount of phosphate I was adding to the tank and I haven't seen any new spot algae on the areas of the glass, including the heater, I had cleaned last time I did a water change. Previously the heater was the worst place in the entire tank for green spot.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Glad to hear that your algae woes are going away.

Yes, you can prune all the emerged growth leaves off at once. Trim them as near the base as you can get.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts