Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have had massive growth in my 10 Gallon aqaurium in the past 2 weeks and my long stem plants have already reach the top of waterline and now curling about 2 inches floating on the surface.

My question is: Can I cut these and replant them back in my substrate or just throw them in my next salad.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Once stem plants start growing on the surface they will start shooting roots from the nodes... this is actually good as you can plant each individually.

There are to ways os spreading a stem plant... top them off and replant, or let them grow on the surface, top off once the new plants that start growing at the nodes grow a bit and plant each of the new plants.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
internodes - is that where another stem starts growing from a midway point from an exsisting stem? Because thats exactly what I have going on. In about 2 weeks I had one grow 4 inches.

See the photo below. The far left stem, where it was broken off continued to grow from that point and another stem also started from that point. Now they both are reaching the surface.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
internodes - is that where another stem starts growing from a midway point from an exsisting stem? Because thats exactly what I have going on. In about 2 weeks I had one grow 4 inches.

See the photo below. The far left stem, where it was broken off continued to grow from that point and another stem also started from that point. Now they both are reaching the surface.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The node is where the leaves come out, or where a branch point occurs (which is what you've shown in your photo) and the internode is the space (stem) in between the nodes.

·
Registered
147 Posts
When a plant grows normally it shoots "levels" of leaves... as it grows bigger it starts growing on the surface, then, rather than shooting leaves it shoots roots and eventually full blown plants.

On my initial post I mentioned Internodes... that should have read nodes. Sorry about the confusion.

In this picture you can see the big leaves of the "mother" plant and a small plant and roots shooting off of its node.

New plant is right on the middle of the picture, very bright green-reddish leaves, its roots under the big stem, a little darker but still visible.

Hopefully this will help.

~Benicio

1 - 7 of 7 Posts