Aquatic Plant Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
A really brilliant thread, is there any chance of a picture showing how densely you plant the stems as I'm finding it incredibly difficult to get my rotalla green to form anything near to the bushes you have.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is a great thread I appreciate you putting this together for us. I'm just learning about pruning. I just have one question when you first bring your stem plants home do you prune them right away before you plant them or is this too stressful for them?

·
Registered
31 Posts
man this is soooo helpful.. i have a tank full of rotala sp green and rotund in thecorder that always overgrow and i just prune the shoots that go wild, but this makes way more sense.. thanks bud

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Mosses can be trimmed back very easily. All that is required is to leave a small portion of viable plant behind. They'll regenerate with their usual somewhat slow growth pattern.

Java ferns and most other long-leaf plants don't like to be trimmed mid-leaf. The best way to thin out a fern is to divide the rhizome.

·
Registered
83 Posts
so i have just set up a new tank 4 weeks ago and my rotala and ludwigia are going nuts, i am getting ready to prune, should i cut them down really low and let the new offshoots grow fromthe original stems and then in a couple of weeks prune the offshoots and not the original stems that were planted?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
so i have just set up a new tank 4 weeks ago and my rotala and ludwigia are going nuts, i am getting ready to prune, should i cut them down really low and let the new offshoots grow fromthe original stems and then in a couple of weeks prune the offshoots and not the original stems that were planted?
As long as you're getting good growth - yes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow; I think this is what has always been missing in my aquascaping.. I personally hated pruning. I was always unsure of what I was doing. now--especially with picture proofs--I am convinced I must do this, and even be harsh sometimes! Thanks a lot for this, really.

·
Registered
69 Posts
yes, very illuminating. I just don't have the heart to lob them off when they are growing so well :)

I must admit I like the tank best in the 2nd pic, with the somewhat more unruly and less manicured growth. "Tis the wild side of me :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
In my tanks, one problem with this technique is that by the time my stems approach the tank top, the bottom portions look rather ratty, leafwise. I don't really see the bottoms of yours looking too badly here. Is this something you deal with, or is your lighting intense enough you don't have this problem?

41 - 60 of 60 Posts