Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my favorite parts of spring and early summer is watching all of the wild birds trying to "wow" their mate. A good share of them do this on our deck rail, so we always get a kick out of all of their fancy moves. I finally caught a little footage of a male purple finch doing his dance today, so I thought I'd share.
What do you think the little lady is thinking? Total boredom, hmm he looks interesting, WOW!, etc.?

I took this through a window, so it's not the greatest quality, but you can still get the better part of it. :)

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I love watching the birds come to our numerous feeders. Saw the same displays from purple finches a couple of weeks ago, most times the female just flies away leaving the male wondering what went wrong.

This year is the first year that we've ever had orioles visit. I saw one in the neighborhood and put grape jelly out and they've been consistent visitors every since. Even the robins are eating the jelly, I've never seen that.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I enjoyed watching the display, even if the female seemed somewhat underwhelmed. Thank you for sharing, I don't have the opportunity to witness that type of display here and it's such fun to see.

·
r'bow lover
1,658 Posts
That's awesome! I'm jealous! I never get to see songbirds often, let alone displaying! Very cool.

If you guys liked that, You'll love the Planet Earth series, I think the deciduous forest episode with the birds of paradise:

i didnt know purple finches displayed so similarly. i guess i thought they just sang to their ladies! LOL.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL! Yes, I get the biggest kick out of all of their different displays.

I need to get the HD version of Planet Earth one of these days too, so I can see it in it's full spectrum.

nailalc, aren't the Orioles cool? We have them come through every year, and this year a female almost emptied our Hummingbird feeder, but about the time I get an actual Oriole feeder out, they are gone again. I do put orange halves out for them and they like it, plus a bunch of other birds also indulge, so it's worth it.
We also try to put jam or jelly out for the Robins since it always has to snow quite a bit after they get here and I worry about them.

Right now we have a bird out there that is perfectly emulating a cell phone ringing, right down to the timing between rings. The first day I heard it I had to look all over thinking someone left a phone out there somewhere, but it's coming out of a tree, so I can only assume it's a starling since they are such good mimics.... LOL!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I dunno what the lady bird is thinking but I'm wondering why male birds naturally know how important dancing is and it can be such a difficult concept to get across to male humans...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.