Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
I wouldn't take it so fast that the wiring is correct. Many times straight pin and square pin bulbs of the same wattage need different ballast. For example on workhorse ballasts - a workhorse 5 is needed to run 2 straight pin 55w bulbs, but need a workhorse 7 to run 2 square pin 55w at full power. There is one person I know who however uses a WH 5 for square pin just fine.

I'm glad you put this up since I will be doing the same thing. Do the [::] bulbs seem dimmer however then your straight pin bulbs?

Do you know the specs of the ballast?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Today I received some 55/65w [::] 8800k from HelloLights and wired them into my 4x65w Aqualight.

I started with the wiring configuration sixty9 said but only got a buzzing bulb. Obviously you did it correctly but must have typed in the wrong configuration.

Given:

(1)(2)|(3)(4)

Do:

(1)|(3)
(2)|(4)

The vertical lines designate the separate tubes of the lamp. There are many more variations, but what not to do is cross the wires. Notice that the pair of pin connectors (1&2) (3&4) must remained paired on the same side of the verticle line. If you cross them, for example:

(1)|(2)
(3)|(4)

The bulb buzzes and won't fire up.

I also talked with Dave @ Coralife (or rather Energy Savers) and confirmed that the ballasts can properly power [::] bulbs. He said in their retrofit kits they use the same ballast between the straight-pin and square pin versions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.