Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 15owatt MH clamp on fishneedit fixture on my 29 gallon. Id like to get some t5 lighting on there as well to balance out hte blueish 8000k MH bulb. Thing is it needs to be a narrow fixture or else it will block out some of hte MH, iwant to put it all the way to the back of the tank or get 2 single fixtures and put one hugging the front of hte tank and one hugging the back. This coralife 18x1 Linear t5 aqualight is only 2.25" wide and hte double strip is only 3" which should be good. Thing is they use 28.25" bulbs. This is weird to me. Where I can i find other bulbs for this other the the 10k one coralife makes. Im using this lighting only for viewing pleasure and to balance out hte MH so I need a fixtuer that can use a bulb that has red in it. I dont know if they make a GE 9325 t5 bulb but id like something close to that. Should I find a fixture that uses regular size 24" t5 or t5hos? I think the hagen glo single 24" fixture is pretty narrow as well and adjusts to fit a 30" tank but I cant find width dimensions on it. Anyone know this? Any thoughts here?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im defintely keeping the MH, but if I add the extra 36 watts I will only use the MH as a 3 or 4 hour burst, and then the t5s just for the sake of viewing pleasure for another 4 hours or so. I know what im doing in terms of a hi light tank. I just really want to bring out my red plants. If I had to I could buy a hagen fixture and suspend it from ceiling but Im not really into doing all that at this point since I have the MH on the legs it came with and Id have to suspend that as well or else it wouldnt look rite. I think Im going to try of of the single strip coralife with the colormax bulb and Ill run it along the back over my red plants. and Ill just run the MH for 4 hours like I said and the t5 for another 3. Ive heard my plants wouldnt suffer because they would do most of their growing during the burst anyway and the t5 would just be for looks as i said. what do you think? that way theres still plenty of room for hte MH to get in there. ITs only about 9 " above the tank so its spread isnt all that wide. The 2.25" along the very back against the backwall of the tank woould probly only block a little if any MH lite. what you think?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im defintely keeping the MH, but if I add the extra 36 watts I will only use the MH as a 3 or 4 hour burst, and then the t5s just for the sake of viewing pleasure for another 4 hours or so. I know what im doing in terms of a hi light tank. I just really want to bring out my red plants. If I had to I could buy a hagen fixture and suspend it from ceiling but Im not really into doing all that at this point since I have the MH on the legs it came with and Id have to suspend that as well or else it wouldnt look rite. I think Im going to try of of the single strip coralife with the colormax bulb and Ill run it along the back over my red plants. and Ill just run the MH for 4 hours like I said and the t5 for another 3. Ive heard my plants wouldnt suffer because they would do most of their growing during the burst anyway and the t5 would just be for looks as i said. what do you think? that way theres still plenty of room for hte MH to get in there. ITs only about 9 " above the tank so its spread isnt all that wide. The 2.25" along the very back against the backwall of the tank woould probly only block a little if any MH lite. what you think?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.