Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
I'm a reefgeek who is getting converted. Partially because of cost, and partially because planted tanks are beautiful. My question is regarding my tank. I have a very nice tank, it's roughly 55 gallons, rimless with a starfire front plate of glass. It has an overflow box in the corner, and since I don't intend on using an overflow on this tank I wanted to know if anyone had any experience taking out an overflow box. The tank is custom and uses the stronger black silicone in case that is an issue. I have heard that you can take a razor and basically shave it off but I'm concerned about this causing the joints of the glass losing integrity. I am just hoping someone has had experience doing this so I can feel more comfortable getting down and dirty and doing this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i really doubt that the overflow box offers much structural support to the tank its self so i dont see why you couldnt just cut the box out. think of all the guys out there who turn their tanks into swiss cheese with closed loop systems, you dont hear of people shop vac-ing 100's of gallons off their floors too often.
i myself converted a standard 120 into a reef ready and im sure the glass is the same thickness as a factory reef-ready tank. shouldnt be any structural diff.

are the holes on the botton or back of the tank? what would you do to close up the holes? cap off the bulk heads?

i was thinking of using my 65 reef ready as a planted tank and just hooking up a canister filer to the bulkheads and putting my auto top-off in the box to keep the water level high enough so as not to off-gas all my CO2 when the water fell down into box when a little evaporated. plus i get to keep the expensive overflow intact for future tank configurations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should be more specific. I wasn't concerned about affecting the structural integrity of the tank itself, I'm just worried that when I razor off the silicone near where the two glass pieces meet at the bottom, will I be creating a weakness in that silicone? It's a custom made Lee Mar so I am a bit apprehensive about chopping out the overflow, but I think a black overflow would be kind of distracting in a planted tank. I wanted to make a completely clear tank all the way around. I assume that If I was careful, I could probably silicone the overflow box back in at a later date. The hole is in the bottom of the tank, I would just cap off the bulkhead and call it a day.

·
Registered
35 Posts
just leave the excess silicone from the box on the glass where they meet. leave anything below the rim or substrate for that matter, as long as it wont be seen why risk it. just slice every where except the bottom corners until you can move the box. when all but the bottom corners are free, pull the box away from the glass and cut along the box its self until its also free. you wont even have to touch the structural silicone joint. even if it gets knicked a little on the edges it should be ok. just be really careful for where the silicone its sandwiched between the glass and the thick part of the corner bead. thats where all the strength is.

i know the boxes are ugly, they take up alot of space too. i made mine wide and thin to minimize that in my 120. the box in my 65 takes up more room! been thinking of putting in a custom one on that tank too, its nice knowing an acrylic guy!

-nick

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Honestly, I'd leave it. An overflow can be useful in a planted tank too. It's nice for removing surface scum and there are plenty of ways to use a sump or drilled tank in a planted setting.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've bought a use 110g tank an it was drilled at the bottom with out a overflow box and I ran my intake 5 inches of the bottom and my return I had it 1 inch of the surface with clear pvc on bot and I use a Eheim Pro 2 2028 for my filter an hook it up underneath. I think if you drill some holes in the middle of it and bottom of it that it will be alright and raise the intake up higher so not to get the water fall affect and you will not out gas your co2, but you might have to use a small hose to clean up in there and it should be a safe haven for baby fish too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts