Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought a used CO2 canister from someone who used to use it for I think running an airbrush machine. I do not know what grade CO2 it is. I found an old thread here that seemed to conclude that there is no significant difference in the CO2 grades for aquarium use, but I have seen other random posts on the internet that say that there can be contaminated CO2 and that food grade only should be used. I would like to know the current consensus as to the CO2 grades before I hook it up to my tank.
thank you very much

·
Registered
38 Posts
I only use what the welding supply company by me sells. It's never been a problem, and this is all anyone I know uses and they've never had a problem. Same goes with O2 for bagging fish, I've never used medical grade or whatever. The tropical fish wholesaler I used to work for also used just welding O2, they've aired up millions of bags of fish that way and never had a problem.

That leads me to believe that the risk of any significant contamination is pretty slim.

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
It is hard to contaminate CO2 compared to oxygen or nitrogen. Remember, a bottle of CO2 contains liquid CO2 and only a small amount of CO2 gas. No other readily available gas, other than butane/propane is like that. It is important because the liquid, if converted to gas would be a huge container full, so a little nitrogen, for example in the gas part is a minute contaminant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts