Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently procured a RO/DI unit, and am about to put it into use on my tank. My question is this, should I plan on putting in an additive like RO Right in it? My current dosing schedule includes: Stump remover, Fleet, Flourish and Flourish Trace, with the occasional Fe dose...

Thanks...

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm no expert on RO water, but i'm relatively sure it's not going to have any gH or kH. That is not a good thing. 0 kH will give you very intresting (in a bad way) pH swings. Besides which, the fish themselves need the different electrolytes for normal bodily functions. There's a reason they sell RO Right or Seachem's Equilibrium, RO water needs various things added back in, both for the plants and the fish.

But that's just a general idea. I shall bow to those who know more.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a tap reading kh/4 gh/8.
Using RO/DI both these reading's are nil, so I want to maintain appro. kh/2-3 gh/3-5
I add enough tap water to bring these levels as close as I can get, then sodium bicard/if needed to increase kh to desired level.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yeah there is that method to. Silly of me not to mention it considering I use it! I mix my tap 50/50 with DI water

·
Registered
79 Posts
If your RO's working you should get a KH reading of 0 (a good test to see if it is). Either add tapwater to get desired hardness, or use a commerical additive like Equilibrium. You may need to consider TW composition in terms of other factors beyond hardness-mine has NO3 out of the tap at 40 ppm, so mixing 50/50 gives me 20ppm NO3 for a water change and bolsters N straight off the bat without adding any other N supplements.

Nick

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I use RO water for my tanks and the GH and KH are both zero out of the unit! I use 1/2 tsp of RO right per 10g of water. This increases both the KH and GH to around 3 degrees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts