Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some quick questions about Rabbit Snails:

1. Are they asexual?

2. Can I feed them lettuce to deter them from eating the plants in my aquarium?

3. What is the life-span of the Rabbit Snail?

Thanks for your help!

~Morgan

·
Banned
153 Posts
I'll try to do my best to answer, but I am sure there is someone out there more knowledgeable than I.

1. Are they asexual

While the steady rate at which they can produce offspring can make them seem like asexual breeders(call parthenogenesis I think?) They do in fact need a male and a female to breed. However.. I do believe that the females can hold on to male genetic material(like the euphemism?) for a very long time, making it possible to introduce an already fertilized female into your tank.

2. Can I feed them lettuce to deter them from eating the plants in my aquarium?

This may work, but rabbit snails seem to have different temperaments when it comes to chowing down on your plants.
I've had one or two that will burn through an entire java fern without breaking a sweat, ignoring other food sources until the destruction was complete. Likewise, I have had snails that didn't seem to do anything but steal from my shrimp and fish.
It's worth a shot though. You could try some spinach, or boiled zucchini too.

3. What is the life-span of the Rabbit Snail?

I've heard reports of between 1-3 years from friends, my LFS, and on various forums. Honestly though, I've never had one die on me, to really give me an idea of lifespan.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My one rabbit snail loves to climb, but the other one just lays in the substrate and hardly comes out of his shell. Could something be wrong with him? I'm getting worried.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts