Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several pairs of different rainbow fish that I need gone.... I would like them sold as a group abour 40 to 50 fish in all...... I will not ship so you must pick them up from the Lansing area...... let me know if interested.......

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I have several pairs of different rainbow fish that I need gone.... I would like them sold as a group abour 40 to 50 fish in all...... I will not ship so you must pick them up from the Lansing area...... let me know if interested.......
As a rule in the for sale forum you have to state fish species and price for them.
Please add these.

thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Picture would be good, of each species please, and where you got them as well.

Unless you got the Emeralds from a private breeder or Gary Lange, I doubt they are true wanamensis. Picture for identification would be good.

There are several people over on Bowheads! watching this thread and if we can ID the fish as pure strains, there may be members that want them.

Eileen

·
r'bow lover
1,658 Posts
Picture would be good, of each species please, and where you got them as well.

Unless you got the Emeralds from a private breeder or Gary Lange, I doubt they are true wanamensis. Picture for identification would be good.

There are several people over on Bowheads! watching this thread and if we can ID the fish as pure strains, there may be members that want them.

Eileen
ive seen wanamensis in stores and they dont look like hybrids. im wondering why you state all sources like this are incorrect...? just wondering if you think they are mis ID'd, hybrids, or...?

:tea:

·
Registered
38 Posts
She's absolutely right. Very few people have real wanamensis anymore. The only person I know of who produces rainbows commercially who has real wanams would be Kent Webster, and as far as I have seen very few stores buy from him. What is out there sold as wanamensis is at best wanam x multisquamatus, and even more often just plain multisquamatus. The "emerald rainbow" in pet stores is one of those two. I've even seen a reputable dealer sell these as wild-caught wanamensis.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ive seen wanamensis in stores and they dont look like hybrids. im wondering why you state all sources like this are incorrect...? just wondering if you think they are mis ID'd, hybrids, or...?

:tea:
How do you know they're not hybrids? Do you know how to tell the difference between a hybrid and a wanamensis and a wana and a multisquamatus?

I state as thus because the fish farms do not have pure wanas anymore. That's a fact, Jack. They haven't in many, many years. For the most part they mixed the multisquamatus with wanamensis -- it's impossible to tell the females apart.

I have pure wanamensis and I can tell you for absolute certain that *no one* has ever posted a fish shop "wana" for ID that has actually been one.

Once you know how to tell the difference, it's quite easy, really. Most people just don't "get" the difference in the anal and dorsal fins, though, and you should be able to see a true wana by the time he is 2" in size.

Here a photo detailing the difference in fins:

For more pictures of *true* wanamensis:

http://bowheads.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2566

HTH
Eileen

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay, in your album I see:

M. parkisoni
M. boesemani, male and female
M. lacustris, a bazillion shots :D
M. praecox

Some that LOOK like:

M. parva
M. duboulayi (I see a female or two, but no males?)

I see no Emeralds or anything even resembling an Emerald, hybrid or otherwise. Perhaps you had that mixed with the lacustris? Can you mark or link me to which one you thought was an Emerald?

The Australian ones (except for the dubs, which I used to have) will have to be ID'd by fellow bowheads, as I don't keep Aussie bows.

Hrm, ah, your bows have columnaris, btw, the white mouths? You should do at least 50% waterchange a week for rainbowfish. They don't do well in "old" water and if you aren't careful the columnaris will go nuts and kill them. Temperature around 75* as well. They are more of a cool water fish; not tropical.

I've asked for Bowheads to drop in and verify my IDs. It's easy to be wrong on some of these. I've never kept Parks, for instance.

Eileen

ETA: Oops, missed one picture at the very end of a big black fish in a life jacket :D He a min-pin? He kinda looks like a Manchester Terrier, but you don't see many of those around anymore.

·
Registered
8 Posts
She's absolutely right. Very few people have real wanamensis anymore. The only person I know of who produces rainbows commercially who has real wanams would be Kent Webster, and as far as I have seen very few stores buy from him. What is out there sold as wanamensis is at best wanam x multisquamatus, and even more often just plain multisquamatus. The "emerald rainbow" in pet stores is one of those two. I've even seen a reputable dealer sell these as wild-caught wanamensis.
Thank you, that's correct. All my fish, except my very first five boesemani, came from Kent Webster via Tanner West. Both of them are also members of Bowheads!, as is Gary Lange (who is the person I got all my wana information from) and Heiko Bleher (who validated Gary's information). Hrm, not throwing names around, just validating my credentials in regards to wanamensis identification.

Eileen

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow and now I rember why I stopped posting on this forum and refering others to it..... looks like all the pompous ego maniacs are still here what a shame....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wooow there Josh.

Why are you resorting to name calling so early in the game?? :)

Roan and I do not always see eye to eye. She's got a tough job, running a site that tries to do its best to dispell myths and misconceptions about Rainbowfish. We would not back each other up just because we're fellow "pompous bowheads". lol. There would be No benefit to Anyone from that type of cult-ish behaviour. If you look at the majority of posts on that forum, you will see a Lot of back and forth amongst the members. The one thing that rings true in the theme of bowheads! is that we are always searching for answers. Doesnt matter if we are happy about the Correct answer to our questions. Our personal feelings do not affect the accuracy of Facts. They might make it harder for the facts to sink in at times, but thats just human nature. Usually we resolve issues without making personal attacks against each other.

That being said, SHE IS RIGHT. Put down your ego and listen to the woman. She is Not making a Personal Attack against you or your fish. She knows what she is talking about when it comes to bows, hybrids, bow health.......She learned by experience and has tried to pass that experience on to anyone else she can. When you post on a forum, you should be prepared to get input from many differing views. Not just ones that make you feel good. You posted about having various Rainbowfish for sale and did not supply enough information for people to make an informed decision about buying your fish. She has been very helpful here. She took the time to help people out with the wana/multi/emerald rainbowfish issues. Like what you see or not, she is Right. She and I Both have learned the "emerald rainbowfish" lesson personally. With the help of Heiko Bleher, the guy who discovered them for the aquarium hobby to begin with, as well as an indepth post by Gary Lange about FFF(Florida Fish Farms) and their effect on the Rainbowfish captive population,on the bowheads! site, we now have a better understanding of how and why there are so many hybrid Rainbowfish. If it werent for the efforts of a few key people to maintain pure breeding stock in the hobby, who knows where Rainbowfish would be. They could just be one big genetic mess.....

She took the time to look through your pictures. She ID'd as many of your bows as she could based on her experience with these fish.

She gave you a VERY important tip on the health of your fish. If those pictures are recent and show an accurate picture of your bow's health, you probably have a problem caused by columnaris. Its a bacteria that Rainbowfish are sensitive to especially in the presense of NitrAtes >/= 10ppm or other water quality issues and/or over-stocking your tank. You should be able to see the whitish edging to their mouths and sometimes fin edges we can see in the pictures. You may also see other symptoms, but the whitish mouths are the biggest give away with Columnaris.

You should not pass those fish along to Anyone until that is cleared up. It can often be Easily managed with multiple water changes and a little time for them to heal. Bows respond amazingly well to PRISTINE water conditions when they show signs of columnaris like your bows are--but I'd think it will be a couple weeks before they can have a clear bill of health from this issue and would be healthy enough for you to sell or pass them along to other people. If you sell bows in that condition to anyone, I think that would be irresponsible.

So, How is supplying you with accurate information on your fish being pompous?? This is not a matter of Opinion. This is a matter of Facts. Roan gave you facts punctuated with smileys for cryin out loud. lol. You got the Roan Art Kit Gloves treatment as far as I can see. :)

Without proper ID's and background on your bows, I do not see how you are going to find anyone who knows anything about bows to buy them from you.

Good luck on your Rainbowfish Journey.....
~Lori

·
Registered
8 Posts
wow and now I rember why I stopped posting on this forum and refering others to it..... looks like all the pompous ego maniacs are still here what a shame....
I'm sorry that you feel that my attempt to help you sell your fish is the result of being a "pompous ego maniac" [sic], rather than a desire to see your fish get a good home or an MI bowhead possibly getting a good deal.

Frankly, if someone came to my forum and spouted all sorts of stuff without backing themselves up with credentials, I'd laugh them out the door. 'Nuff said.

Do you *want* someone to buy rainbowfish that are not what you are advertising them to be? Would you like it if someone sold you a mutt that was advertised as a purebred dog?

From the pictures you posted, there are no Emeralds in that tank -- hybrids or otherwise. I like your lacustris, it's very nice and very photogenic.

Most of your fish look pretty good, except for the white mouths. Easily fixed. It's a good deal for someone looking for PNG bows, but again I have no idea on the Aussie bows in that tank.

Eileen

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.