Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was gonna get a few grown ones from the lfs store, feed some to my fish and try to start raising them with the others left. i have a small tank, an air pump and air line that i can use. how do i know how much sea salt to put in the water? is it likely the shrimp will start reproducing in the tank? if not i dotn think i will bother setting this up

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ive done some reading and i know that its extremely hard and over all not worth the effort to try and raise adult brine shrimp to the large size you buy them at.

right now the 100+ i have left over are in a tupperware in the fridge with one flake of fish food. will this keep them alive for a while? the guy at the lfs said this was my best option

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've reared brine shrimp in 15gal tubs outside that recieve mostly morning sunlight, use a standard marine salt mix at more or less seawater salinity, add a small amount of soy milk to cause an ammonia spike and trigger algae growth, soon as the water starts to turn green add the brine shrimp (or eggs), harvest adults regularly with a coarse net.

Kids wading pools work even better and are more stable if you have the room.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I'm thinking they'd just die in the fridge.

you can keep them a live in a 10G with bubbles. You can feed them mashed spirulina algae wafer/flakes etc... once in a while.. Don't overfeed.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well theyre acting a lot more sluggish, idk if its cuz theyre so cold or if theyre dieing. a couple are dead on the bottom but not as many as i thought would be. ill see how this goes and maybe tru something else next time. i got some big glass jars i could house them in for a few days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts