Aquatic Plant Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Payments through paypal, minimum order $5 (or it's hard to justify the trip to the post office). :mrgreen:

USPS priority shipping is $5 for anything under 1lb, and $10 for USPS priority flatrate (for the shrimp or large orders).

All Plants are sold pending payment, Thanks!

Micranthemum umbrosum - $1 - (golfball sized)
Limnophila aromatica - $1 (three stems)
Watersprite - $1 - (three plantlets)
Guppy Grass - $1 (handfull)
Hornwart - $1 (handfull)

Hygrophila polysperma 'Sunset' - $1 (four stems)
Java Moss - $1 (handfull)
Sagittaria subulata - $2 (10 plantlets)
Egeria najas - $1 (handfull)
Hygrophila difformis - $1 (plant shown)

Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov' - $2 (plant shown)
Subwassertang - $2 (size shown)
Micro Chain Sword - $2 (10 plantlets)
Glossostigma elatinoides - $2 (plants shown)
Bolbitus - $2 (plant shown)
Ammannia gracilis - $2 (size shown, several available)

Hygrophila sp. 'Porto Velho' - $2 (each shown)
Hairgrass - $2 (shown)

Cherry Red Shrimp $.50 each

Adult female shown in first photo (with subwassertang and E. najas in background), and group of shrimp at the size that will be shipped (3/8"-1/2") in second photo.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All plants are sold pending payment. Thanks folks!

There are around 200 shrimp I'd like to sell off. More photos of shrimp to follow.

Thanks,

Cliff

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are a few more photos of my cherry shrimp. I tired to include photos showing different levels of flash so you can get a better overall idea of how they look. (the substrate is turface, if that helps as a color reference for anyone).

Here's my "group reply" to the inquires I've been getting, which is just my 2 cents on cherries, just for fun. :)

As to overall color of the shrimp, they're red-- pretty strikingly red. If you haven't read much about these shrimp or seen them in your local stores, I'll give a little background info: they start out less red, and increase in color as they reach maturity. The males are more of a clear color with bright red lines/veining. There is a male in the last picture, directly to the left of the adult female in the top of the photo, he's partially obscured by the plant.

I've seen folks on some forums claiming to have shrimp that are better than everyone else's, and from what I've seen (and ordered in the past) this is marketing. Usually the claim is either that they start out with more red as babies, or that they become more red over time than normal cherries. The photos shown are almost always taken against very dark substrate (ie, black sand or similar) and without a flash, which shows more contrast.

I've picked up shrimp for my colony from a half a dozen or so different sources, and have seen them for sale in at least a dozen pet shops in three different states-- they all look like cherry shrimp. =) None have ended up being noticeably more colorful than any of the others. I'm not saying there aren't any out there (hey, I can't buy everyone's shrimp, right?), just saying that I've never seen any noticeable difference.

While there will certainly be some amount of color variance in your group once they start breeding, they all look great, I've never seen an ugly or plain cherry (although please note these will cross breed with other color types of the same species, which will produce "wild type" shrimp, not nearly as colorful as the reds).

Two things that do/might make a noticeable visible difference:

Egg color. When the shrimp berry (are carrying eggs), you can clearly see them. I've seen eggs in four different colors, white (uncommon), yellow (very uncommon), red (most common), and dark (blood) red (less common than regular red, more common than yellow or white). Females carrying the dark red eggs look more/deeper red while they are carrying eggs, which they aren't most of the time.

I have separated out these darker egged females in the past, but the trait does not seem to directly breed true in any of my tanks, most of the female offspring continue to carry normal red eggs.

Food. Some fish foods are marketed as helping produce more coloration, and I've read that specific things will encourage similar results in the shrimp. I haven't tried this, and don't know if it's true.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! 140 or so left...

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
BUMP for a good guy and a fellow GSAS member! BTW, I have his shrimp, they are doing great in my tank!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks for the bumps! 50 left, if anyone's still interested...that would be $35 shipped for the whole batch (which would be the price for about 6 at my local shops. 8))

·
Registered
52 Posts
wow, way to raise the thread from the dead lol. Ill take some too if any left since 2 years ago lol :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.