Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ranunculus ? inundatus (previously Ranunculus papulentus)

I think that this Australian native plant is, as the kids say nowadays, the shiznitz. :mrgreen: It's the towering palm-like foreground plant with the dissected leaves. The following photos were taken from the Taiwan Aquascaping Contest 2004 webpage, which no longer exist. Please click on each image to view it in its original resolution.

Strewn among the Hemianthus callitrichoides and underneath the shrimps, you'll also find another new plant: Elatine orientaris.

·
Registered
353 Posts
A friend told me that this plant should be R. inundatus, papulentus is an older name/ synonym. Can all you experts out there confirm or deny this?

I have to be honest, when I first got this plant, I was a bit disappointed. I thought the leaf was going to be small like Marsilea. I've grown to like it though and can't believe it hasn't gotten the fanfare that other new comers have in the past.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aaron said:
I have to be honest, when I first got this plant, I was a bit disappointed. I thought the leaf was going to be small like Marsilea.
You know, you are the third person that I've heard this from Aaron. :razz: Are you sure that you weren't thinking of Marsilea schelpiana, the cut-leaf clover? It can be easily obtained from most pond plant suppliers here in the United States. M. schelpiana has dissected/lobed leaves but who knows if they will keep their shape or convert to the mono-lobed (is this a word?) leaves like those of the other species currently being kept in the hobby. Below are some photos of a Marsilea species I found on www.tonina-forest.net. I think that it is an emersed specimen of M. schelpiana. I can't read Taiwanese/Chinese/whatever the website is written in so I don't know if the discussion mentions its scientific name or its submersed form. Here is the discussion thread if anyone is interested in translating.

For what it's worth, there IS a petite cousin of R. ? inundatus named R. pygmaeus. How realistic is it for APC to spearhead a field trip to the Kimberley region of Australia? :mrgreen:

A friend told me that this plant should be R. inundatus, papulentus is an older name/ synonym. Can all you experts out there confirm or deny this?
I'm no expert but Google does support your claim Aaron. Ranunculus papulentus has been redetermined as R. ? inundatus. However, it is not known if it is its own distinct species or a sub-species/variant of R. rivularis. Would your friend be able to verify this for us Aaron?

Thanks.

Oh, here are some more photos of the plant I found.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I think it is possible that R. papulentus is a different species, there are surprisingly a few species of Ranunculus (buttercups) in Australia from what I have read. They don't all seem to be aquatic though. I also don't understand why R. papulentus has not been very popular in the US so far.

One other thing to add is that Elatine orientaris is a gorgeous plant with a beautiful dark color that a lot of foreground plants don't have, the color doesn't really show up well in that picture. I think with a dark substrate it will look great. Another good thing about it is that it isn't too rooty so when you go to thin it out it doesn't stir up all the detritus. I have slowly replaced my HC with it. :smile: I have seen it available on this forum and on aquabid.

·
Registered
353 Posts
cs, I'll check with him about why he thinks it's inundatus. He's pretty hard core about stuff like that. The reason why I thought this plant was tiny was before I even saw a pic of it, it was described to me as a Marsilea with the "windelov fingers". The pic in the plant finder does not show the plant in scale so I assumed it was tiny.

I have that cut leaf clover thing, never thought of sinking it though. I'll add that one to the long list of plants taking the plunge this summer.

What's the chance of Ranunculus pygmaeus showing up in a LFS or garden shop in the Sydney area? I'll be there in a couple of weeks :) I'd be too chicken to take it back with me though, Australia is "soup nazi" about moving plants and animals in and out of the country.

Another one: Elatine orientaRis, or orientaLis? Is this just another Japanese translation miscue like Japanese blue gRass guppy? Come to think of it, then would it be called Eratine?
If any Japanese speakers out there find this offensive, please don't I am just kidding.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Aaron said:
I have to be honest, when I first got this plant, I was a bit disappointed. I thought the leaf was going to be small like Marsilea. I've grown to like it though and can't believe it hasn't gotten the fanfare that other new comers have in the past.
fishfry, show Aaron the Ranunculus you got 3 weeks ago. So he knows I didn't really sent him the big ones...)

One more pic of the Elatine:
The first time I saw this plant was around 1996 in Taiwan, it has always been one of my favorites since that.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Got some R. papulentus from a friend and am working on a full foreground of it with Hydrocotyle sibthorpioldes jutting up behind it. Looks very tropical (very palm tree-like) so far and grows well in hard water (dKH 14+). I would compare its creeping abilty to H. verticellata almost completely. Did a search and found that it is also found in sub-Antarctic waters. A grungy pic:

·
Registered
852 Posts
I received some of this (and some of that Elatine) today from some aquabid auctions I won...the plants I got aren't very tall. I hope they stay short, too. I think we should give it a common name...maybe Finger Palm?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Error said:
I received some of this (and some of that Elatine) today from some aquabid auctions I won...the plants I got aren't very tall. I hope they stay short, too. I think we should give it a common name...maybe Finger Palm?
It will stay short if you give it enough light. It can grow quite tall and looks really like a palm tree in shaded area....)

·
Registered
628 Posts
The same plant can grow very short and small or very tall and large. The largest stem I have is about 3 inches tall, while the smallest is less than an inch tall. I didn't draw the scale bar perfect, but you get the idea...from the gravel to the top.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This plant is a certifiable weed in the truest sense. Once it gets established, it will send runners EVERYWHERE. My largest plant produces leaves that are 3 inches across. The mother node currently has 8 leaves. :shock: Fortunately, pruning this plant is quite easy. You just snip the runner at its source. This way, you do not have to uproot/replant; while the mother plant gets larger and produces more leaves and runners, which is not something you can claim for Hydrocotyle verticillata. And also unlike H. verticillata, you can freely snip the leaves and the mother plant will send up more leaves in the exact same location.

Aaron said:
What's the chance of Ranunculus pygmaeus showing up in a LFS or garden shop in the Sydney area? I'll be there in a couple of weeks I'd be too chicken to take it back with me though, Australia is "soup nazi" about moving plants and animals in and out of the country.
R. pygmaeus is not considered an ornamental so you'll most likely not find it for sale Aaron. But if you happen to collect it from the wild, then keep it in your coat pocket (or mail it to me :mrgreen: ) to elude the X-ray machine. And unless you are packing marijuana or other similarly odorous plant that dogs can detect, they're not going to perform a full body search. Not that I've done something similar nor am I encouraging smuggling mind you. Just FYI. :p

·
Administrator
7,409 Posts
I was searching around and found this. Apparently, this site treats papulentus and inundatus as similar but distinct species. Strange.

http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/NSWfl.pl?page=nswfl&lvl=sp&name=Ranunculus~inundatus
http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/NSWfl.pl?page=nswfl&lvl=sp&name=Ranunculus~papulentus

I also found this:
http://www.victoria-adventure.org/aquatic_plants/nan3/ranunculus_inundatus.html

I'm leaning towards inundatus but intend to look into it some more. Anybody have anything else?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I would have to agree that the plant I keep and have seen in the hobby is much more similar to what PlantNET describes as R. inundatus. Interesting.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I've had this plant for around a month and a half. It took about a week or two to get used to my tank, but once it did it grew like CRAZY. It's sent off all kinds of weird runners too... some that have thes bulbous looking things on them that look like they might be flowers. I actually just trimmed this stuff up because it had gotten out of contol.

I too was surprised at how big the leaves get. I was thinking they'd get an inch max... I was wrong. It also grows a good bit taller than i expected (under 4.5wpg).

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If PLANTNET is correct in its descriptions then I think that it is indeed Ranunculus inundatus. I tried planting it emersed and below are photographs of its well-dissected leaves.

I was unable to get it to flower. It simply multiplied vegetatively very prolifically.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.