Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't see a lot of discussion about the use of specific ratios for the different growth stages of aquatic plants. This is a major premise in ADA's Green Brighty series but they are the only ones that use it.

For example, in the early stages of vegetative growth, greater amounts of nitrogen are needed to promote vigorous development. Potassium helps with root formation so increasing it's proportion in the early stages makes sense.

What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Edward,

From my recollection, Green Brighty is a series of steps, Step 1 (0-3 months), Step 2 (3 months to a year) and Step 3 (1+ year). There is also Brighty K (potassium) and Lights (for light loving plants) and Shade (for shade loving plants). Lights and Shade contain N and P and is to be used as a supplement to Step 2 or 3.

As with all liquid fertilizers, it is ADA's proprietary formulation. The series is meant to provide for the complete nutrition of plants. Perhaps Ryan can tell us if ADA has released the formulation in one of the Aqua Journals. However, I've never obtained it.

In the end, it doesn't matter to me. What I find interesting is that they have different formulations for the growth stages of plants. I think this is an area that we haven't focused much on but I think is important.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paul,

What about toxicities? Isn't it true that too much of a certain element can actually block uptake of another?

Also, could the concentration needed of a particular element be different at different growth stages?

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

P plays an important role in the production of DNA and, hence, cell development. Deficiency results in very poor growth.

K plays a role as an activator of key enzymes controlling metobolic pathways among other things. It is also important for root formation.
Edward said:
1+ year

My speculation is that this Step is due to the chemical characteristic change of the relatively unstable substrate used with this line.
Their substrate line is stable, as I define the term. Why do you say it is relatively unstable? I think Step 3 is a general formulation for long-term maintenance.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My experience with the substrates has been a very good one. The substrates create the right environment for nutrient cycling so my substrate got more stable as time went on. The impact on KH/GH is initial and is due to the primary component, clay.

To enrich the substrate further, ADA does sell nutrient pellets that are used for targeted feedings.

The above notwithstanding, I do feel that the nutritional needs of aquarium plants change over time. This is something that we should do some experimenting with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.