Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: 375 L tank, solid plant mass, regular PPS + micro fertilisation + daily 5ml dose of easy carbo. Pressurised co2, switched off together with lights. Temp is 26 C, filtration is one Tetra FX1200 (no sponge on the intake).

Before adding 10 RCSs (semi-adults - they were added when the lights were switched off), 6 angels and 2 SAEs were removed, so the only potential culprits could be 4 M. Ramirezi or 15 harlequin rasboras.

After adding them to the tank, I have tried and tried to spot them, but they are nowhere to be seen. While there are lots of hiding places for them, I was hoping that at least I could sometimes catch a glimpse, but nothing. I still have some hope that they might pop-up sometime, but;

1. Is it possible that rams or harlequins consumed them or
2. Is it more likely that ended up in the filter,
3. Or did the fertilisers kill them?

Any similar experience?

·
Registered
414 Posts
that's a big tank to add 10 shrimp to so you probably have some till in there hiding somewhere. The rams may have picked some off though (not sure how big they are). They do sometimes get sucked into filters but usually are fine and will continue to grow inside the filter. I have kept them in EI tanks so that's probably not the issue. Normally I would have gotten like 50 or so to put in a tank that size to have any hope of seeing them with any regularity. Hope you find them soon.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Hopefully they are just hiding.

If it is well planted they are good at that. I have difficulty finding all of mine some days in my planted 6 gallon tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for keeping my hope. I stare at the tank 15min at a time, but not a glimpse.

Oblongshrimp - I would have definitely gotten more, but 10 was what I was given as a gift from a fellow aquarist. From what I read, they are breeding like mad, so in a few months, I am hoping there will be more in a few months.

·
Registered
40 Posts
well, I made the same mistake of putting Cherry shrimp, 20 to be exact, into my community tank (platty, angle, tetra,..) with some plants. Only 1 got out alive. :-D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts