Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im trying to pick what bulbs to get for my 55g setup. Its going to be a low light setup with no co2. I already have a 48" fixture that holds two flourescent bulbs. The bought 2 florasun bulbs but did not like them as i thought they were way too red. I want 2 bulbs or 2 different bulbs that will be a nice crisp white light that brings that out the greens the best and be sufficient for plant growth. I was suggested so many different kinds that i dont know what to pick. Let me know what you guys recommend...thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
739 Posts
I would probably mix a 6700K and a 8000K or 10000K. That should give you a nice cool look that brings out the greens well. I've been happy with Coralife 6700K and 10000K bulbs in the past but you have many to choose from.

Giancarlo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gpodio said:
I would probably mix a 6700K and a 8000K or 10000K. That should give you a nice cool look that brings out the greens well. I've been happy with Coralife 6700K and 10000K bulbs in the past but you have many to choose from.

Giancarlo
i was told not even to worry about kelvin rating that much because differnt brands can look completely different even thought he kelvin rating is the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
739 Posts
True there are some exceptions due to strong peaks in the spectrum, such as the GE Aquarays. But most bulbs of the same kelvin rating are rather similar, it says very little about their ability to grow plants, that's entirely a spectrum issue, but you are talking looks here so I think you can safely choose based on kelvin with the exception of the AquaRays which will look far redder than their kelvin rating would suggest.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gpodio said:
True there are some exceptions due to strong peaks in the spectrum, such as the GE Aquarays. But most bulbs of the same kelvin rating are rather similar, it says very little about their ability to grow plants, that's entirely a spectrum issue, but you are talking looks here so I think you can safely choose based on kelvin with the exception of the AquaRays which will look far redder than their kelvin rating would suggest.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio
i have two aquarays actually right now. they are also too red for my taste.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seriously? if u do want them as soon as i pick out my bulbs ill sell em to u cheap..theyre pretty new ive only had them for not even a month.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,715 Posts
If you want blue in your tank, I'd recommend the Ocean Sun 10,000k bulbs (T8) and aforementioned Ultrasuns (6500k, CRI 98).

If you have T12 bulbs, the Coralife Trichromatic 6500k bulbs are very blue (baby blue). This and the URI Aquasun make my favorite bulb combination (in a 3 Coralife: 1 Aquasun ratio).

Carlos
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tsunami said:
If you want blue in your tank, I'd recommend the Ocean Sun 10,000k bulbs (T8) and aforementioned Ultrasuns (6500k, CRI 98).

If you have T12 bulbs, the Coralife Trichromatic 6500k bulbs are very blue (baby blue). This and the URI Aquasun make my favorite bulb combination (in a 3 Coralife: 1 Aquasun ratio).

Carlos
well i dont want my tank to be too blue, just a nice cool white. Im only going to be using 2 bulbs so which would u recommend?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
I have had a lot of success with the Phillips Daylight Deluxe bulbs (F40T12/DX). They are 6500K and you can get 2 for about $7 at Home Depot. I have used them in both saltwater and planted tanks with excellent results in both.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
S said:
I have had a lot of success with the Phillips Daylight Deluxe bulbs (F40T12/DX). They are 6500K and you can get 2 for about $7 at Home Depot. I have used them in both saltwater and planted tanks with excellent results in both.
im looking for a more blue bulb. Right now im leaning towards the coralife 10000k and 6500k. What would u guys think about this combo? or should i just go with two 10000k's? Remember im looking for a nice bulb that brings out the greens as the only red in my tank will be a few fish.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top