Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a good root tab for use with PPS-Pro? I want something for my crypts. I was going to use Flourish Tabs but I read something somewhere that Flourish tabs contain a lot of calcium which will precipitate with sulfate ions, so since PPS-Pro uses magnesium sulfate I will be wasting fertilizer.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Re: Recommendation for Root Tabs?

I wouldn't bother with any substrate fertilization because aquatic plants take nutrients directly from water column. For example we have had Cryptocoryne beckettii ''petchii'' growing 3 to 4 times larger with PPS-Pro in only non-fertile inert substrate. According to Tropica.com, Cryptocoryne beckettii 'petchii' grows up to 10 to 15 cm, 4 to 6 inches. Here we have this beautiful Cryptocoryne growing to 42 cm, over 16 inches high. About 3-4x larger.
This is in inert substrate with little peat moss and PPS-Pro fertilization.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, none of my crypts look very good, in any of my tanks. They all have algae of various kinds on them. I just changed the substrate in my 55 gallon tank so I'm not too surprised I'm having algae issues there but I had them before.

The first pic is in my 20 gallon tank and these crypts have had staghorn wrapped around the base and stem as well as small hair algae. The second pic is in my 55 gallon which has a small hair algae all over as well as some bba.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts