Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im asking for help and some advices on how I can get these plants back on track, and growing again.

This is a 8G tank with pressurised CO2 as you can see the tube is almost as big as the tank!!..:)
200lt/h canisterfilter, 24W PL flourescent lighting. No fish.

I had to leave the tank for 3 weeks, and when I cam back, nearly all of my HC was brown and mushy so removed them all, just some tiny roots are newly starting to give leaves.
Even the java fern on the rock was nearly dead. E.parvula had infested my anubias so thats a big porblem too.

And now algae is getting in my way. Im using Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Potassium, Flourish Iron, and Flourish. Also phoporus from fleet enema (1/10 diluted to dose this small tank).

My fert schedule is:
3 times a week 1ml of N and K.
0.6ml Iron everyday
0.4 ml Enema (diluted) one time
Flourish 2 times a week 0.6 ml.

I controlled my doses through fertilator it seems ok but I gotta hear your advices,

Thanks in advance.

Here are some pics:

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
I think you are very short on light. An 8 gallon tank needs more than 2 watts per gallon, even more than 3 watts per gallon like you have. I suspect it would take about 40 watts to get enough light, perhaps more if the fixture is raised as much as that one is. I find it very hard to figure out how much light to put on tanks of that size.

It looks like you use a drop checker to measure your CO2 concentration. Is that right? If so, do you use 4 dKH, distilled or deionized water in it instead of tank water? How do you get water circulation in the tank?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you hoppy,

As for lighting isnt my lighting 3wpg as you said it should?
I suppose I can find another of the same lighting, another 24W with the same height.

I use a drop checker thats right indeed, but I only use distilled water, I dont know if its 4 dKh. Actually, becuse theres no fish, I am exessivley putting in CO2. When I say exxesive I mean about 4bps.
The water circulatioın is from the canister filter outlet above the ceramic atomiser. I aim the outlet holes so that it hits the CO2 and have it more efficiently diffused.

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
I would also go with another 24w of light.

The watt/gal rule of thumb breaks down with the smaller tanks.

For example 1 gal + 1 watt of light won't give you enough light to grow "low light" plants - it won't grow anything.

There is a threshold at which photosynthesis will start and below that it will not. In other words smaller tanks need more watts than the watt/gal rule shows.

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
The drop checker color means nothing unless you know the KH of the water in it. Adjusting that KH to 4 dKH makes it be green at about 30 ppm of CO2 in the water. It can be hard to get the concentration that high, so don't assume you have that much based on the bubbles per second you are adding.

I may have confused you: 3 watts per gallon on a tank that size isn't nearly enough. And, when you keep the light raised up like you do, with the feet on the fixture, the light intensity drops even more, (by about 1/2 at the substrate based on measuring the photo you posted).

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
To put what hoppy said in perspective, my 2.5g nano runs 26 watts over it, and behaves about the same as my 180g, which has under 2 wpg. Big tanks also break the wpg rules in the oposite way though, and both run as the higher end of medium light or lower end of high light. ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to you all, for your helpful replies,

For the time being I removed the legs of the lighting and placed on the aquarium itself, made a considerable diffrence on the substrate. I just came back from the aquarium shop, but they seem to have ran out of these lighting, gotta wait for the other 24W..:(

As for the drop checker, I dont know how I can find a distilled water with 4dKh, but this gave me an idea to measure the distilled water I used..:p..:) So I measeured it as 4-5dKh. My distilled water is from the airconditioner, it does not matter does it?
And none of you comented about the fert schedule, do you think for the time being I should lower the doses?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So its good news for me, I ordered the same lighting from the net, and it arrives tommorrow morning.

By the way, hoppy;
upon your advice I used a different distilled water, the water from the A/C, with about 4-5dKh (thats the nearest I found), 4 drops of the solution and now the color shows near to amber.
After your replies I increased the CO2 flow to nearly 10 Bps, but its back to 4bps. This should be more relible I think??

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
You should be able to get ordinary baking soda - sodium bicarbonate - no matter where you live. If you add a tiny bit of that to distilled or deionized water you can adjust the KH to 4 dKH pretty easily. I'm not at all sure what will be in water from an air conditioner. It could easily contain acids from the sulphur compounds in the air, which would affect the pH of the water making it unusable for measuring CO2.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you again hoppy,
The second 24W lighting just arrived. Significant visual difference, hopefully the plants will like that too. Instant pearling started. I now removed both of the lighting pendants legs as you adviced.

As for the drop checker, Im not comfortable with the A/C water, so Ill get some distilled water and bicarbonate of soda and adjust it to 4dkh. Then Ill now Im on the right track.

Justa few pics,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts