Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NASH Club members

Now that hurricane Ike has come and gone, we have all started the recovery process. Most of us have had home damage from the wind and rain, and may we all recover with a minimal financial and emotional impact.

With the power outages that inevitably comes with a hurricane, some of us also took a toll to our hobby. With pumps and filters being down and lights being off, I am sure that a lot of tanks are in ruins. As this takes a secondary priority (to most;)) to the restoration of our homes. the restoration of our hobby can easily help our emotional recovery process. To that end, NASH has been contacted by some suppliers and APC members from across the country, and they are sending "relief" packages to aid in the re-establishing our tanks. At this time we do not know what or how much is coming, but the fact our friends in this hobby are pulling together to help out is greatly appreciated.:D

Also, as a side note, though the clean process you water perameters may be knocked out of balance. Should you get green water due to this the club does have a UV sterilizer to loan out. Please contact me should you need it.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Howdy, NASH folk!

I guess first I'll introduce myself. I've been on the forum for several months but not a member of any clubs (I'm North of Abilene right now). Anyhow, I just found out yesterday that I got the position I put in for in Anahuac. :whoo: My wife and I will be moving to the Channelview/Baytown Area the first week of November and I'd like to join NASH. (How exactly do I join?) Here's a link to my tank journal if you want those details:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/aquascaping/51836-davemonkey-s-50-gal-journal-7.html

Okay, back to Ike relief. Instead of trying to pack all my plants with me during th moving process, I figure it will be better (and easier) to just donate them and start from scratch after the move. The driftwood would be too bulky/complicated to try and ship, so here's what I have to donate to the Houston folk who need plants. Just let me know when and where to ship. I'll pay the shipping (as long as it's all to one location...otherwise I'd appreciate some help with shipping costs) .

Polygonum hydropiperoides - 4 small stems, locally collected
Crypt. wendtii (bronze, brown, red?) - 12 various size plants
Hygro. difformis - 12 stems, 3-6"
Hygo. 'sunset' - 5+ stems
Bacopa caroliniana - 8 stems
Ludwigia repens - 10+stems
Blyxa japonica - 10 little baby stem cuttings
Apon. longiplumulosus - very large, about to flower, may need a rest period?
'Ozelot' sword - large - 15" tall, 19+leaves
Flame Moss - ping-pong ball?...whatever I can trim
Java Fern - couple rhizomes to be trimmed

You can see all of these in my tank journal, latest update on p.7

Again, just let me know when and where you want these. And the longer they stay in my tank, the bigger they'll get...hopefully... :rolleyes: ...except I have not been having much luck with Blyxa.

-Dave

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greeting Dave, and welcome to the Greater Houston area.

Joining is not a big formality, keep an eye out here for a posting of our meetings. First meeting is free to get a feel for the club, after that membership is $25 per year. Contact me or Luis.

I will make sure that Luis knows about the plat offer (thank you) as he is acting as a the central distribution point.

Otherwise, I hope your move is uneventful and goes as smooth as possible.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Thanks, kwc1974. I'll keep watch for updates.

-Dave

·
Registered
550 Posts
Dear friends an old friend from the club Mr. Green; sent us a box full of plants! I will sort them in equal amounts and will type a post as soon as they are ready to be picked up.
Please do not wait too long to come and get them since they have been in a box for 3 days already.
If you live in HOUSTON, or any of the affected areas in TX and you lost plants because of IKE send me a PM and I will make sure you get some as well.
Best regards,
Luis Navarro

·
Registered
550 Posts
OK gang the plants are ready please PM me as soon as possible to get your plants! I have clean them and sort them in one quart zip lock bags if you can (Don not have to) Please bring a box of one quart zip lock bags since I use most of what I have and there is still many plants on the way.
Hurry please our friends took time from their busy schedules to send us plants and it will be a shame if the plants go bad on us!
Luis

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Many thanks to Luis for undertaking this task. Since they are plants afterall and have been without care for few days, I will swing by and keep them alive in my pond and my tanks for the time being. I will do my best to keep as much alive as I possibly can.

These plants will be good for future swaps at the meetings.

But if any of you have time, please do come by Luis' office to pick them up no later than this Friday as they will not last long alive.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Although I was not effected as bad as others and had means of keeping my tanks alive I just wanted to Thank those that have reached out to give us a lifting hand at this time.

·
Registered
550 Posts
OK I have at list 6 people coming today for plants the rest I will give to Paul so he can keep them alive until Friday I know is short notice but WE HAVE TO GET TOGETHER THIS FRIDAY I am expecting 2 more boxes Thursday and Friday so is very important you get them before the weekend.
We have gather at star pizza before since there is plenty of room there, we could even have dinner let me or Kevin know do not wait you all know how much money you spend on plants every year don’t waste this opportunity.
BTW unfortunately I am doing all the sorting and cleaning by myself so I can not ship the plants they are for local pick up only.
Please understand I have to work as well.
Best regards,
Luis Navarro

·
Registered
640 Posts
I would like to thank everyone who was kind enough to donate their plants for this cause. I hope this will help the people who lost all their plants to the storm get back on the track. Luis , Star Pizza sounds good. Let me know if you need any help on Friday. Its my day off. Thanks again for doing this for NASH.

Thanks
Bhushan

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
How often do you folks meet, how easy is it for you all to swap off plants? Trying to get another package together for you guys, but it won't be shipping out for this week for sure...

Also, if there are particular plants folks lost or are looking for, post a list! :) If I can get this pulled together inside GWAPA, we'll see what we can fill from it.

·
Registered
550 Posts
No need to stress Dave there is no meeting schedule just yet every body is still trying to go back to normal so we may just have a small dinner gathering this Friday to deliver the plants to club members.
Best regards,
Luis

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
K, looks like we'll be taking donations at our next meeting, and either shipping out the Saturday of the meeting, or the Monday after.

So expect a pm the 23rd-24th to get info together. ;) We should be able to fill at least one flat rate box, maybe two with donations.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Where is Star Pizza and what time you meeting? Perhaps I can make it. I'm working that day, but might be able after work or during my lunch hour. L:uis knows where I work. Close to City Pets.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Although not directly related, here is what will happen to the plants I got from Luis. They are now sitting nicely in my backyard patio's container. As for the plants I have, I think Luis can chime in on that because some I do not know. They are getting the best care they can get. As it is in the backyard, I do not have CO2 tank but I do dose Excel frequently along with other ADA ferts. The tank is also adequately aerated with a filter. The plants are nicely batched up .

Vance, what kind of plants are you looking for that I might have from Luis? Right now I am suffering from bad case of allergy but if you let me know what plants you need, and if they are in Luis' batch, I can meet you somewhere and give them to you.

***A good friend of mine from Dallas, Darrell, is trying to sell his ADA 60-P wooden cabinet. If you know what this is, you know how expensive it is. He is letting it go for $350+shipping. PM me if you are interested and I will give you his contact info. This stand is very new and has only been used for 6 months. There are no damages whatsoever. If you would like to know more about it, just PM me and I will give you his contact info so you can ask him any questions***

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks, Ill take the stand paul. Im looking for just a few bunches of nice stems. Something not normally found in LFS. Thanks for looking out!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts