Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I also have that plant. I've been told it's Cabomba Furcata. But looking up C. Furcata, it says it's difficult to grow but I've got no problem growing it in low ph, medium light with excel for Carbon source.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My PH is 7.4 medium-low light and excel + DIY co2. I was thinking it might be furcata and came to the same conclusion. I just got it today, so I have no idea.

·
Administrator
7,398 Posts
3 leaves per whorl and the species (species is the same singular and plural) in question is very likely Cabomba furcata. If you ever see purple flowers, you can be pretty much certain that's what it is. It sure looks like C. furcata to me. I wouldn't say it's difficult, but it is rather demanding.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What does it demand? aside of light, what are its likes and what will it insist I give it? Thanks for the correction on species. It does have three leaves per whorl.

·
Registered
635 Posts
What does it demand? aside of light, what are its likes and what will it insist I give it? Thanks for the correction on species. It does have three leaves per whorl.
I just got 4-5 stems this last weekend from Aqua-Forest in San Francisco. It's doubled in height in only 4 days. Though it does seem to be losing it's rich red color a bit. I have 3x54W T5 HO over my 72 gal and dose heavily with an EI regime (and have high N and P levels from a big fish bioload) and pressurized CO2. It's pearling like mad, and growing like mad. I've had the greener and easier-to-grow cabombas in the past, which ironically grew BETTER when my tank was only 2w/gal using CF lighting and nothing but trace micros dosed (and whatever macros the plants got from fish poop and uneaten fish food rotting) than when I went pressurized CO2 with an in-line reactor, EI dosing and higher T5 lighting.

From what I've read it just likes to have all nutrients dialed in completely and if you want it to stay a rich red some serious lighting. I'll try to report back in a couple weeks to see just how much the reddish stays or goes....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts