Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any of these snails? I found some at a LFS the other day and I'd like to get one for my guppy tank but I don't know if they are anything like the Marisa's who will eat any plant that's in front of them.

My guppy tank is an El Natural so I don't want to add one if there if they will end up eating all of my plants! Not only that but I have a Pomacea bridgesii and a Zebra nerite for that tank as well and I don't know if those snails would harm the ramshorn.:confused:

I'd appreciate any info you can give me! :D

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi Rose. People keep Red Rams in planted tanks sometimes, but it's been my experience that they do eat plants. I had some babies hitchike on plants and caught them later making holes in my tough Anubias, even. They really liked the softer plants, but I guess they weren't picky. My plants stopped having holes in them once I got rid of them. This meant hand picking, and some luck I guess... They weren't as prolific as pond snails (shaped like a football), but they ate my plants too. You are on the money with Brigs and Neritess. If you want another variety, I'd say go with little MTS Malayan Trumpet Snails. They are great for planted tanks, they keep the substrate aerobic with their shallow burrowing. Hope this helps. :D

·
Registered
310 Posts
ramshorns and pond snails are the devil. you dont want them unless you have fish that will eat some off to keep the population down. the can be a plague.

apple snails, mystery snails half to have male and female to reproduce. so there alot easier to keep and look neat!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you!

I haven't bought a little red snail yet because I wanted to get as much info as possible on them. I do have some pond snails in my other two tanks and I've never really had any problems with them. I'm not too sure if I'm going to get one yet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I inherited some very tiny ramshorns as hitchhikers that even survived the bleach dip (yikes)! If they get really happy, they will definitely proliferate, but they have done a fantastic job of keeping my glass and plant leaves clean. They don't bother my plants at all unless I get careless and let the population get out of hand. When it's time for culling, I put a couple of shrimp pellets inside a fish net and rest it on the bottom somewhere. After several hours you'll have masses of snails that you can just scoop out and dispose of. That part's unpleasant, but they've proven to be the most efficient multi-purpose cleaners I've found for a small tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.