Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a red rubin sword get to large for a 29 gallon bowfront?

I'm considering planting it center and toward the rear and using Echinodorus parviflorus v Tropica as foreground plants since I can't seem to manage to find any decent foreground plants that do well under 2 wpg cept for e tenellus that ends up getting too tall.

Substrate is topsoil capped by gravel.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anubias grow too slow and my little ones don't appear to wanna root like the larger anubias do.

I'll have to look into that. I have tried Marsilea quadrafolia (spelling?) planted in soil and in a 20 long about 6 inches below a screw in 20 watt daylight bulb and it just sat there.

My swords always get huge with the topsoil substrate. I have one green melon that's trying to grow out of the top of my 150.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd really love it if it wouldn't take over the tank. I had a kleiner bar in a 20 tall and ended up having to remove it cuz it was shading everything else out. It's happily potted in soil now in my 150 gallon tank. I suppose I could do that if this one gets too happy.

On a side note, I'm so excited. All my NPTs are by south windows, so they only get direct sunlight in winter. Yesterday evening, I finally saw a sliver of direct sunlight shining in! I can't wait till they get full sun part of the day!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not that bad if you're careful. I've pulled an established amazon sword out of soil tank before. A partial water change and sponge filter cleared it up just fine. Of course there was just sag left in there and I didn't really care whether that got disturbed or not since it's such a weed. LOL

Roots are good in a soil substrate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.