Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep that's right. I need some algae groth in my 2.5 gallon iwagami!

2 weeks ago I had otto die because lack of food.

All what i have in it is 4 Juvie Cherry shrimp and a lonesome otto.

But anyways I light specs.

20 watt Incandescent desktop light.

I run the light from 6:30 Am to 10:30 Pm. For the last month I haven't had any CO2 running in it.

Only Algae in there is BBA. Today I put the lonesome ottos from my 2.5g into my Mini M which has a healthy amount of algae for him to eat and maybe get a bigger tummy. I have mentioned before about this tank but it is becoming a threat to the livestock.

Maybe I finally invented the bullet prove tank!

Lol I hate to say it but what the heck am I doing wrong to get me some algae growth going for my shrimps and ottos.:)

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm maybe some more AS soil would help. From what I remember it does leach a little bit until the bacteria growth gets into it?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're welcome to some of my algae if you like...hell you can have the whole lot, if it keeps your Oto's happy! What's your address??!![smilie=u:[/QUOTE]

HA! lol Well I have algae growing in my 10g for sure! But I didn't know that you can just transport algae? Are you saying that if I transport the algae it will promote regular growth in the tank?

brighty K- Well I oppose this statement but I assume your just joking around! Also I buy the otto to eat the algae. Also I plan to try and breed these one day as they are a gorgeous fish!

Commodore 64- If there were no "fat people" what would make you skinny?:rolleyes:

Cliff Mayes- Well a lot more complex way to say things but basically what I am getting is that there is always algae in a tank just maybe not size able portion to the naked eye. Also I've witness how good of a cleaner these guys are. I put a shell full of spotted algae, it came out spotless in 4 hours!

So maybe they eat at such a rapid rate I don't realize that there is algae in the tank!

But anyways right now my 2.5g is just 4 baby cherries for like the past week. Still no algea. But if you said is true about adding algae to promote growth then I will start to do that.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry Bright,

I read my post and it was a little to serious. lol I didn't mean to get you on your offensive side.

Anyways yes you are correct. I moved him to my Mini M and hes doing fantastic!!! Active, Socializes alot with my other otto in the tank, and most all hes starting to get a tummy for the first time. I guess I can always put him in the 2.5g when a cleaning is needed.

Thanks alot guys for all the suggested ways. Does the zuchini need to be boiled first?

Now a new topic BBA has doubled in the 2.5g. Lol I know rocks are old but now they have beards!

What to do? If I remember correctly Directly dosing excel on it will reduce it?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Funny thing is that pretty much No BBA is on the HC or moss and other plants. But when I went on Vacation during the summer I took off the light and just let it sit by the window. When I came back the BBA was severely weakened. I might try it this way as I spent nearly 6 months watching this tank grow and it is too much to take if I took it down. But in the end it is hard labor that gets the job done.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts