Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a pressurized CO2 system a few weeks ago (JBJ regulator, 5# tank from welding supply store). When I got it home I followed the directions that came with the regulator (half a dozen rotations with teflon tape around the bottle's outlet, plastic washers inset, etc.).

My question is, why did the tank run out today? I noticed it was going a little slow earlier today, so I turned up the needle valve a millimeter or two. When I got home it was all gone, and the solenoid was hot to the touch (never checked it before--might this be normal? or just a result of the tank running out?) I checked the psi maybe a week ago--750. Today--0.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this implies a leak in the fitting between the regulator and the bottle, or possibly between the bottle and the solenoid. I tightened it pretty darn tight last time. Do I need to use more teflon on the next bottle or what?

· Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I did the soapy water check after losing ANOTHER bottle. The threaded post that comes from the bottom of the bottle pressure guage is leaking where it meets the main cylinder from the bottle.

What do I do now? I know someone said JBJ will take it back, but I don't have the receipt.

· Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, I was unclear.

The regulator is leaking, at the screw joint between the bottle pressure guage and the cylinder that screws on to the bottle.

· Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I exchanged the malfunctioning one with the dealer yesterday.

The new one seems to be working correctly.

· Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nah, it was just a small leak at the guage. The soap test was negative at the main connection without teflon. The washers seem to work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.