Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Super Moderator
4,167 Posts
Nice tank. I wouldn't do anything drastic like reducing the photoperiod below 12 hours.
Have you tried a midday siesta? Three to four hours off during the midday would you help control algae without diminishing the required 12 hour photoperiod.
I would not add Flourish unless you actually see iron deficiency in the floaters and/or they start to disintegrate. I suspect your tank has plenty of nutrients, as evidenced by the cloudiness.

· Super Moderator
4,167 Posts
My first thoughts on the cloudy water is to use a UV clarifier. Hadn't seen that mentioned earlier. Is that a reasonable approach?
Yes! And thank you for the prompt.
This is one 'gadget' that I like. It will clear green water, bacteria cloudiness, and protect newly purchased fish from disease. Compared to black-outs, reduced lighting, and chemical treatments, it has no down-side other than possibly removing iron from the water.
In this tank situation, it would certainly be a viable option.

· Super Moderator
4,167 Posts
Reading back on one of your original posts you say you use a 5-4-5 schedule with ambient light from a nearby window. You also refer to this photoperiod as more than 12 hours and suggest I shouldn’t drop below 12. Are you counting the 14 hour period with the siesta as a 12+ hour photoperiod?
Yes. My 5-4-5 schedule is a 14 hour photoperiod. It also qualifies as a 12+ hour photoperiod.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts