Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I like to use a piece of blanched lettuce or spinach to remove snails. By placing a single small piece of blanched lettuce in the tank and removing it an hour or two later you can literally get hundreds of snails. I usually place a second piece in the tank after removing the first piece to get the majority of remaining snails. The shrimp will jump off once you pull the lettuce from the water but the snails are too slow to jump off. You can then toss them, sell them on Aquabid (yes they do sell on Aquabid) or feed them to snail eating fish. My Tanganyikans (mainly the tretocephalus) love to eat snails, shell and all! I can practically rid a 10g tank of snails in the matter of a day by simply using the lettuce technique :)

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
From your description, it sounds like you have Malasian Trumpet Snails. These can actually be helpful at keeping the top layer of your substrate churned up. The small snails may be the pond snails. With the exception of Barclaya species, I've only had them eat plants that are decaying.

Blanching is boiling for a minute or two (stovetop or microwave) then cooling with water (to stop the cooking process). Blanching will allow the lettuce/spinach to sink. If you drop in a piece without blanching it will float so you will need to weigh it down in the tank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts