Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I am looking to replace a big mat of Eleocharis with something else as the ground cover in my high energy aquarium. I am looking for a plant which will compliment the current fauna, not be too invasive and it would hopefully highlight my growing Eriocaulon collection. I had to temporarily remove most of the Erios because the hairgrass was overtaking everything. I am considering using Rotala mexicana 'goias', Hygrophyla 'araguaia' or Utricularia gibba. Has anyone seen a good lawn using the first two plants? UG is kind of my fall back in case I decide to pass on the first two. I welcome any thoughts and suggestions for this ground cover change over.
Here is the tank

Here is Rotala mexicana goias and Hygrophyla araguaia after that.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
The Hygrophyla 'araguaia' grow a little tall for a foreground plant unless you don't mind it being 3" or 4" tall. I have it in my tank. I think it's a great plant for the side front perhaps. It is also a very slow grower. It would take forever!

There was a lot of UG for sale here just recently. It might be a good time to get some.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tex Gal I think you are right about the height and slow growth of the Hygrophyla araguaia, maybe I will make a separate patch for it.

Sorry I don't have a suggestion, but what's the red plant on the right of the leftmost driftwood?
Ludwigia sp Guinea

·
Registered
142 Posts
that plant looks amazing! almost so perfect that it looks photo shopped.
sorry for not having any suggestions, but your plants look very nice.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Have you thought of Elatine triandra. I've seen it in tanks and its awfully cute.

There is always the glosso and HC. I have E. tennellus sp pink (aka micro), downoi. Trying to get Ranunculus Inundatus to take off... Also have Crypte nevilli (now that's a cute amazing one!).

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I second the Marsilea. I'm having great success with that plant as a foreground carpet; thick, lush, dark green, and so far just under 1" tall.

-Dave

·
Registered
56 Posts
My vote would be the Rotala mexicana 'goias' due to the fact of it's uniqueness and it would have a nice contrast to the Erios! I think with the Erios peppered here and there with in the Rotala it would look neat!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My vote would be the Rotala mexicana 'goias' due to the fact of it's uniqueness and it would have a nice contrast to the Erios! I think with the Erios peppered here and there with in the Rotala it would look neat!
I am leaning towards the Rotala Goias but the problem with that is finding enough of it to get the carpet started. I have a few stems but not nearly enough to supplant 2 square feet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts