Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the blyxa japonica in my tank, because it gets too tall. I want a plant that looks like the japonica, but I dont want it to get too big or too tall. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
There are the tonias, but they are expensive and hard to find. You might just want to go with some sort of hair grass or tennelles. They come in all different sizes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What about something with roundish leaves as a contrast to the plants that are remaining try planting in patches instead of rows. How big is your tank its a bit hard to judge from your pic, if on the small side maybe Micrantheum umbrosum, or maybe Hydrocotyle verticillata with a slightly larger leaf. What about attaching Anubias petite to the bogwood with one of the moss's maybe change some of the background plant and get a focal point, would love to know what the result is. Really must see about changing that junior member thing I'm a 51year old grandmother a bit past the junior stage I think.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
As far as short grass-like plants, japonica is one of the better ones I can think of. I guess you could go with some of the smaller hairgrasses and keep them pruned.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It may or may not do what you are looking to do, but what about E. tiandra? It can either grow pretty flat to the ground or it can get a little "shrubby" if you don't prune it. That would make it available for both foreground or "mid"ground for your tank. The color is different than many plants, as well. Just a thought...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts