Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Naomi!!

I used to find the same thing-- Then I realised that I could get away with planting a 2 inch stem of R. indica and it'll still grow just fine. That gives it time to get the roots going before you see it. When it reaches 4-5 inches everything's good again. At least IME...

I believe HeyPK is right. Fe is probably the culprit. With the good amount of light on that tank, I'd be sure to add ~.5 ml of an iron product daily. I use Flourish Fe. With iron in the water column, daily dosing seems to be better than a couple times per week.

HTH!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Naomi,

If you're adding that much, than iron isn't the issue. I always replanted my indica tops without trouble except when I was low on Fe. Not sure what the problem is.... You're in the Bay Area right? How's your Ca and Mg? Also, how is your NO3, and CO2? If old leaves are deteriorating, it has to be a mobile nutrient (check APD archives). I'd bet NO3. Add 1-2ppm and see what happens. That much shouldn't hurt if you're being cautious about it.

Yeah, I took the plain gravel out of that 20g-- The trace and iron consumption was unbelieveable, so I needed to do something to fix that. I added the kitchen sink, Hehe. Worm castings, solid humics, laterite, mulm, and Activated Carbon. That fixed it alright. Even better reds and a third of the traces and Fe added to the water column... You should see the E. stellata. I'll attach a pic here... Sorry about the quality. I had to shrink the pic 90% in order to be able to post it here.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, if it's not traces, NO3 or CO2 then I'm stumped... That Eco-Complete stuff sure is potent. I'd bet that's why your re-growth is doing so well. Try doubling your traces, but keep iron the same for a week. Then try a tad more NO3 but you shouldn't need it. CO2 is always a concern...

My tank is a mess of growth right now-- all wild, but really the healthiest growth I've ever had. I'll send you a pic in a week or so. You can tell me what you think:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.