Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an old 60's style 13 gallon metal frame cube tank, at a fish auction. the dimensions of the tank are 16x14x14.
I have taken out all the old glass and have had new cut to fit.I wanted to have the frame re-dipped in chrome, to spruce it up a bit, but come to find out its stainless steel, so I am working on polishing it right now. It may be a little slow going but i should be able to upload pics tonight or tomorrow of the process.
I'm not sure what style I'm going for a far as far as scaping or even tank inhabitants, but most likely shrimp,cpds or some sort of pygmy fish, I'm hoping to get suggestion ideas as I go so feel free to speak up. i should be done polishing the frame tonight and start to put glass back in tomorrow!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Uh! Sounds intriguing! Did you made some photos before removing old glasses? In any case - made some before polishing it. Its interesting to look at this ol` tank - I didnt expect to see atomic-style tank,but still)

·
Registered
84 Posts
it'll be nice to see what happens to that tank! I remember seeing the original batch of these metaframe tanks in Walter's Barn! lol. I'm happy to see one of them'll be planted!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Uh! Sounds intriguing! Did you made some photos before removing old glasses? In any case - made some before polishing it. Its interesting to look at this ol` tank - I didnt expect to see atomic-style tank,but still)
also kimcadus, I have always loved these tanks too, I have been seeing them and have always wanted one. Now I have two. i did not get the OG fixture, would love to see one though.
Here is the pic of what the tank looked like upon purchase, minus the tape. I originally thought I would just hand scrub and polish the stainless steel,clean the glass,and re-seal the tank. after hand scrubbing it and polishing by hand it still was an old tank,lol. after cleaning the glass i noticed it was pretty scratched up, i decided to pull the glass and replace it, and use an air driven cotton wheel to polish the stainless frame.
I finished polishing it tonight, but I need to give it one final cleaning in the morning before re-installing the new glass here's pics so far, more to come tomorrow!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sealer coming out.

glass coming out.

empty frame awaiting polishing

and during the polishing

more to come tomarrow

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
it'll be nice to see what happens to that tank! I remember seeing the original batch of these metaframe tanks in Walter's Barn! lol. I'm happy to see one of them'll be planted!
me too,lol. have been wanting one for sometime now.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just finished puting the bottom glass in the tank, im thinking I will get it nice and level, let it dry and later tonight tackle the rest of the glass sides.

·
Registered
540 Posts
King oz - Here are pictures of some original stainless light fixtures that you were inquiring about. The first pictured is on the 10g shrimp scape that you saw in my journal for that tank. In addition to the light strip it also has a stainless flap (not pictured) that can be attached which covers the entire back with holes for tubing.

The light originally held two incandescent bulbs. I have two spiral flourescent (6500k) in it instead

I have an even smaller stainless tank a 5 gallon "long" is what I call it. I use if for a quarantine tank.

The fixture length is identical to the 10g but it takes a T8 fluorescent.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
texgal thanks,
and kim that light is awsome! now i need to find one and gut it and stuff it with a few t5's.
If anyone has accsess to old stianless light fixture I would be intrested in buying them the tank is 16x14 but im sure I could work with any fixture around the this size with mounting legs or even hangin it. thanks for the pics kimcadus

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got the glass back in the frame, it was much more messy than I thought it would be, very tight fit, well i guess thats a good thing im going to let it cure now and scrape my mess off with a razor tonight I will also upload some pics tonight. moving right along I guess after curing I can tackle components that's were i need everyone's thoughts, feel free to chime in Im not sure what to do for filtration lighting ect.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
more pics glass bottom going in

glass for sides afront and back

all in.

I will be cleaning it up tonight after the silicone has a lil time to set up, giving it that finished look!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I understand the tight fit. Same experience when I did mine. Also the panes had to go back in in a certain order to fit. I knew this going into it but getting all the sides in in one shot was a challenge given the working time of the silicone. I ended having to pull one out to get another in and then resetting it. I ended up with a leak at the reset pain but I prevailed in the end. Also one o mine had the original slate bottom which i ended up having to seal from the underside as well.

Good luck and looking forward to more pics and progress.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol, yea the last pane on this one went in and out a few times geting silicone all over everything else, but it will clean up nice tonight im sure, a good ole razor will do the trick.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wowzers. very nice. How much did the glass cost ya?
jargon, the glass was 25 bucks, i was going to do starfire but my supplier would have had to order it and I was all ready to go!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
all done with tank, is this stand to big,lol, jk.
also picked up some rocks and some drift wood im not sure if im feeling the rock, what do you think? pagota stone?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
anybody like the rock??

1 - 20 of 43 Posts