Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
For the last 10 years I have had several planted tanks, but for most of this year I got rid of the plants and went to Reef tanks. As I found out, it is a very expensive habbit to have. I even work part time at a LFS and it still was to expensive.

So I have a few questions.
-I have a 90g tank, it is reef ready with the megaflow overflow built in. Will this tank still work for a planted tank or should I try to get someone to swap my out tanks for a non drilled one.
-Also, my lighting will be as follows. 4- 36'' T-5ho bulbs with individual reflectors and 2 65w compact flourescent bulbs. This should be more than suficient right? I mean, I was able to keep all SPS and LPS corals allive so plants shouldnt be a problem.
-Lastly, I have allways been able to buy SMS for cheap locally. But after searching for it the last few days. All the Lesco stores say they do not carry it anymore. Is there a good/cheap subsitute?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Some think plants are easier that corals, but I'm not sure every one agrees with this. I think there is a lot to know and understand with both. I'm sure that plants are not a fragile but there are some algae nightmares out there. The lighting should be fine, I hope that you will use co2 as well.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Aren't the T5 bulbs 39 watts each? Four of those plus 130 watts of PC bulbs is a huge amount of light for a 90 gallon planted tank. If they are 39 watt bulbs, the T5 lights alone will allow you to grow just about any plant you could want to grow, and will require that you use pressurized CO2.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will indeed be going with presurized Co2, I have allways done DIY Yeast Co2 systems in the past but with the lighting I have and the size of the tank I dont think there is a better way to go.

The Corals were really not that hard to keep. It just gets really expensive doing a 20% weekly water change. That is with the cost of salt, additives and RO/DI water. Not only that, the corals grow incredibly slow and Ive been used to plants growing quickly for the last 10+years.

Im really looking forward to getting back into planted tanks and doing water changes with tap water:slywink:

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
For a substrate, http://www.aquariumplants.com/product_p/ss.htm is the same as SMS, as far as anyone has been able to tell. It isn't as cheap as it was from Lesco, but the price is still pretty good.

You can use the tank you have, but you will want to make some changes to the overflow, based on what I have read. I will leave it to someone who knows a lot more about that than me to explain that part.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Any natural sand will do the job, as long as it is the right size. Plants take nutrients from water column so supply the proper elements there and enjoy. For the CO2 you need to limit water surface disturbance to keep it in the water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.