Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone recommend a reverse osmosis system that I can purchase for use in a one bedroom apartment? I want to try breeding some of my fish.

Keith

·
Registered
65 Posts
R/O in an apartment

What is your water pressure like? I live on the 22nd floor of a 40 year old highrise and bought a 50 GPD R/O unit. Due to the low pressure of my water supply, it will only produce 25 GPD. The alternative is a booster pump to increase the pressure. For me, not a worthwhile option.

James Purchase
Toronto

·
Registered
187 Posts
How's your RO/DI system working?

David

gpodio said:
I just bought one from this ebay seller:
http://stores.ebay.com/The-Aqua-Safe-Pure-Water-Shop

I got the ro/di unit with water tank for under $100. Haven't received it yet but they get good feedback on the salt water forums. This is for a reef tank, you might be able to make do with just the RO unit and no tank if you're limited in space.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
If your appartment has a washer/drier connection it is easy to hook the RO system to the washer water line (using a Y if you have a washer).

The collection is a bigger problem because of the small space. The most logical way is with 5 gal. jugs placed on top of the washer. That way if you forget the RO system running the extra water flows into the washer (which is connected to the drain). If you have space you can buy one of the big trash bins on wheels and collect about 45 gals at a time there. The bin + wheels is about $60 though.

If you don't have a washer/drier connection you will have to conect the RO system to the kitchen faucet. You will either connect to the faucet or use the piercing valve and install it under the sink. The problem is that the water pressure in the kitchen is very low and the productivity of the RO system will drop.

Another possibility for connecting the RO sustem is a garden hose connection which maybe located outside of your appartment but close by.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
154 Posts
I purchased one of the 100 gpd units from Aqua Safe on e-bay. I've never had a ro/di unit before so I can't compare it to anything but I really like it! I can fill a 42 gallon holding tank in about 9 hours with less then 4 ppm TDS. I've had it approx 6 months now and never had to replace any filters or membranes yet and I have VERY hard water. The unit I have came with the auto shutoff solenoid and the flush system. Very friendly and helpful people there also. Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I bought a similar 30 or 40 GPD system of ebay 2 and a half years ago. I paid like $60 plus shipping. I have been very happy with it so far. I wish I had the 100 GPD unit, though. It takes a long time to fill my reservoir. I have tried to replace the prefilters every four to six months and have never replaced the membrane. I do not have a TDS meter. But, I have tested the water with all my aquarium test kits and they have always tested zero. Ithink its time to repce the membrane now, though. I will probably just buy a whole new RO system. By the time I buy all the prefilters, the 100 GPD membrane, and the flow restrictor, its almost the cost of a new system.

As far as hooking it up...I hooked mine up under my sink and put a faucet in the sink and tee'd it off to line that goes downstairs to my reservior that has a float valve. It was really easy, much easier than say installing a faucet. I bought a fitting that fit on my cold water shutoff valve that had a compression fitting on the side and a connection for the faucet water feed on top. Worked great and is very easy. Probably your best bet for an apartment, because it will be easy to take out if you move.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've had it approx 6 months now and never had to replace any filters or membranes yet and I have VERY hard water.
In my opinion, I would seriously consider replacing the three prefilters soon. That is the key to long membrane life. With our aquariums we are using considerably more water than someone say just using it for drinking water.

Then again, the membranes aren't that expensive anymore:)

Rupey- Where did you get you TDS meter?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I got the TDS meter and a water presuure guage with the unit :) I am planning on changing the filters soon, I also bought a box of filters from them, 5 complete changes so should last me a while!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I don't have the empty space in my laudry room to put a large container. I have a bunch of vertical space but can't seem to find any containers that will fit.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Picked up mine from www.airwaterice.com and could not be happoer. A little more expensive then the ebay ones but having bought a few of these over the years this one is by far and away the best quality.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would recommend a 3 or 4 stage RODI system for your apartment. I recently purchased one on ebay for about 100.00. I was also looking at the Coralife Pureflo tfc system that is rodi and had a pump, I think it was around 150.00. I would have liked it better probably, but I didn't want to spend that much right now in this recession. One thing I have found out is that I wouldn't recommend using the 1 micron filters, I would use a 5 or 10 micron filter. I found myself changing the 1 micron filter monthly. Make sure and get a 50gpd system with whichever one you buy. hope this helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So you guys are using the RO/DI water for your tanks after all......curious....people around here say it's not necessary as it strips the water of a lot....

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Depends on what is in the water to begin with, and what sort of water you want in the tank.

If your tap water is really hard, then yes, you do want to remove the GH and KH to have a soft water tank. Hard water is like having a bucket full of rocks. You cannot make it softer without removing the minerals. RO is a very good way to do that. Sure it 'strips' the water of a lot.... That is the goal.

If your tap water is otherwise OK (no nitrates etc) then many aquarium keepers will mix a certain amount of tap water with a certain amount of RO water to achieve the water chemistry they want.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So you guys are using the RO/DI water for your tanks after all......curious....people around here say it's not necessary as it strips the water of a lot....
I use a 4 stage RO/DI system. Have it under the kitchen sink and when I need to filter water I attach it to my faucet. I fill 1 gallon jugs and then put four of those in 5 gal buckets, I then add minerals back to the water. I have the exact same water every time I do a water change. My fish and plants love it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am going to hijack a bit here...
I keep circling around the RO/DI problem... I have "harder" water, but live in a duplex apartment in which I don't like watering the lawn too much, much less wasting a ton water with a bad RO system. I have stuck to plants that I think my tap can grow. I don't have an infinite budget. I like the concept of RO- absolute water control:cool: but with a massive increase in expense, space in a limited setting, some extra time (reconstitution), and impact. To the RO experts(maybe just planted tank experts)- what is your cost benefit analysis in the planted tank game when it comes to RO? I mean, I have done my research into hard and soft water plants, I understand the Ca/Mg ratios are important, KH and PH in regards to CO2., etc. I have been doing my homework... Is it just to be able to keep tricky plants like eriocaulons, or it just that much better for other reasons. If the collective unconscience of the web can explain this concisely, this should be a sticky...
Apologize with the hijack...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am going to hijack a bit here...
I keep circling around the RO/DI problem... I have "harder" water, but live in a duplex apartment in which I don't like watering the lawn too much, much less wasting a ton water with a bad RO system. I have stuck to plants that I think my tap can grow. I don't have an infinite budget. I like the concept of RO- absolute water control:cool: but with a massive increase in expense, space in a limited setting, some extra time (reconstitution), and impact. To the RO experts(maybe just planted tank experts)- what is your cost benefit analysis in the planted tank game when it comes to RO? I mean, I have done my research into hard and soft water plants, I understand the Ca/Mg ratios are important, KH and PH in regards to CO2., etc. I have been doing my homework... Is it just to be able to keep tricky plants like eriocaulons, or it just that much better for other reasons. If the collective unconscience of the web can explain this concisely, this should be a sticky...
Apologize with the hijack...
The reason I use it is because of very hard water and high amounts of Chloramine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts