Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reworked my 90 this past weekend, added some java fern, java moss, two anubia and 24 cardinals. I would like to add microsword in the front and remove the java fern on the substrate to the driftwood. I plan on adding several discus, but not sure which ones.

Pic 1 is the right side of the tank
Pic 2 is side angle
pic 3 was taken with flash, which washed out the true color of the tank.

Tank has do it youself co2
4 110 watt vhos
laterite red flint mix
pH is 7.0
nitrate, nitrite, ammonia 0 ppm
ordered a co2 and iron test kit should arrive on Thursday.
photoperiod 12:30 to 9:30 pm
24 cardinals
6 ottos
plants - sagittaria, java fern, java moss, bronze wendtii, anubia.
ferts - flourish
order flourish excel, and flourish iron and should arrive on Thursday.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
DIY CO2 in a 90gal??? How many bottles you runnin?

Anyhoo, your tank looks good. I prefer the natural type so this one catches my eye.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking good! I can imagine a nice background in a few months when it fills in.

Some possible things that you might want to consider:

1) levelling the gravel at the front
2) disguising the heater and other equipment behind plants
3) planting the foreground more densely

Not sure if Discus is the right fish for this set-up. But I always have a soft-spot for them, especially the wild ones. ;-)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Danged nice looking tank!

I thought I'd have the same opinion of the gravel in the front, but after staring at it for a minute, it reeeeally works - nice flow.

I like the mosses tucked into the niches on the wood.

I also really like a big school of cardinals - the flash and beauty is relaxing.

A discus will be quite a showpiece. Please post more pics as the tank progresses - it'll be interesting to see it fill in.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
0_0

tsunami said:
Lowlight? Not with 4x110VHOs! O_O

Carlos
Yes 4x110's. Hardware removed from my reef tank. I have thought about removing 1 or 2 bulbs, but haven't. Previous plans were to have more light loving plants, but these have become my favorites.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes the lighting is intense for plants selected, but my previous plan changed. The plants selected are my favorites. The lights/hardware are from an old reef tank.

Yes diy co2 is better than no co2 at this point in time. A co2 unit is planned in the very near future.

Thanks for the suggestion about leveling of the gravel. I thought about it, but then realized that not all lake/stream beds in nature are level.

Im curious as to why one person felt he didn't feel this was a set-up for discus?

Thanks for the nice comments. Will post more pics at a later date.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Diy Co2

SAWALLACE said:
DIY CO2 in a 90gal??? How many bottles you runnin?

Anyhoo, your tank looks good. I prefer the natural type so this one catches my eye.
Nice tank! Well I'm also running DIY CO2 on my 75. Using 3 bottles and a very efficient reactor... Problem is CO2 levels seem too high. PH is 6.5 at 5.5 KH or 52.17 mg/l! Very high, I know, so I'm cutting down to two bottles...

The plants are bubbling like crazy but I'm worried about the effects at night... Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the nice comments. I think with DYI there will be fluctuations in pH because it is not a consistent addition of CO2 being added. I wonder about my systems fluctions in pH too? Pressurized co2 is more reliable for tanks our size with the addition of a ph monitor. It's on my list of "need to get as soon as I can".

Do you have PC's on your tank? How many? I had 4 vho's for a total of 440 watts. I removed one bulb last evening so now there is 330 watts over the system. I have been considering purchasing PC's instead, but first I need to get the pressurized co2 system.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey do you use RO, or tap water? I just got my ro/di unit repaired and will now use this mixed with tap. 50/50. If your using tap water the high KH is probably due to that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts