Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, I broke down my 10 gallon "XL Nano" and removed the rims. This took FOREVER! Getting the silicone residue off took a very long time. I am going to have a variety of mosses in here and maybe some anubias nana petite. I will probably keep some crystal red shrimp or snowball shrimp or something like that. Light will probably be 20 watts of compact florescent with two bags off $3 a bag black sand as substrate and minimal fert dosing, I wanna keep this a low budget tank, using thing that I already have so I can save up my money to start a 24 gallon aquapod reef tank with 150 watt metal halide lighting and sweet moonlights! Cant wait!
tank waiting to be tested:

testing:

and while looking at this view:

The tank BROKE!:mad:

haha, jk, jk, it didnt break:heh:
tank full of water:

I will finally get the sand on monday. I was going to get it Thursday, but didnt have time, Saturday, I went to get the sand, and the store was closed. So hopefully monday, I can get this thing cycling!
More to come later.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I like the right side a lot. The left side however, the 2 pieces of driftwood seem to be mimicking eachother.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I like the right side a lot. The left side however, the 2 pieces of driftwood seem to be mimicking eachother.
Yeah I feel the same way. I love the right side, it's so unique! :D

foofooree- What are those white specks in the black sand. I've been meaning to try out this substrate. Any other substrate layer beside black sand?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I feel the same way. I love the right side, it's so unique! :D

foofooree- What are those white specks in the black sand. I've been meaning to try out this substrate. Any other substrate layer beside black sand?
the white things on the sand are bubbles from when I filled it up and I only used sand. I know I need to improve the lft side but I ran out of dw. I will try to change it some.
I will either bee adding bee shrimp (aka crystal black shrimp) or snowball shrimp or crystal reds, ant one of those would give a nice contrast. I change the bulbs to 2 15 watters instead of 2 10 watt bulbs, and the new bulbs are 6500 k and have a great color to them, I guess the old ones were maybe 7000 k? I might add a couple of ottos in a couple of weeks. I used a seeded filter and dw that I had in some of my other tanks, so cycling shouldnt be too bad. I will be dosing excel ever few days until I get the shrimp in there. Not sure why it isnt good to use excel with shrimp... anyone know?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, I made little "stands" or "legs" for the light fixture out of an old coat hanger, took like 20 minutes

and in use(you can see how the water has cleared, and I love the "ripple" of the light reflecting off of the water that you can see on my walls now)

edit: you can see how I have a cherry shrimp in there to help start the cycle, and when algae starts to grow, to keep that in check, until there is algae, I will feed it a small pellet of food every other day (so you know I'm not starving it :p)
edit part 2: you can also see that I added some pennywort in there until the tank settles in)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those coat hanger stands are really neat. Do you think they will rust? What keeps them from shifting side to side?
not sure about the rust, there is some kind of plastic like coating on them, so we'll see, if they do rust, then I will put some plasti-dip on them. They dont shift side to side because they fit the glass pretty well and are pretty sturdy.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Light legs! how clever!

BTW, I love your clock. Blue!!
Yeah, I love it too! i just got it that day from wallmart, my old one was red and had stopped working, it was only 12 bucks, and the tv was my combined chritmas/b-day gift from my parents and cousins ans aunts and grandparents (lol) and I love it, 32 inches of lcd awesomeness:cool::mrgreen::rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 166 Posts