Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tex Guy and I were looking for a new tank. (He's finally hooked again! Yeah!!) I went online searching for all glass rimless tanks. I remembered the one that was sold at the AGA conference. Tried to find that company. Anyway.... my search lead me to fishtank.com. They sell rimless in several sizes. They also said they can custom make any size for you. Tex Guy decided on a 24" X 24" X 20H" He's getting star glass on 3 sides!! He's going all the way!! It'll be the nicest tank we have. It'll be somewhere less than 60gal. 24"H is 60 gal. He's already ordered a TEK light and a canister filter. He was gonna do a rack of 10gs but decided on this. I think he's gonna go high tech but not sure he has decided. I've already begun collecting some plants for him. So exciting!!!

Anyway.... if you are looking for an all glass rimless tank give them a call. They say on their site they won't make them in glass but it depends on your location. You have to call or email and find out. We will be meeting their truck Dec 14 in a parking lot somewhere in Dallas. (Sounds like a story I once read on this forum!!) You can choose regular glass or star glass, clear or black silicone. How nice! :D

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
OOh, sounds fun! I can't wait to see pics or a journal for it.

-Dave

·
Registered
581 Posts
Rimless add such beauty. Can't wait to see it. I'll be checking out the site later and figuring where else I could possibly fit another aquarium

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, I just got the same site. I can think of a few thing I'd rather have if I had.... $1BILLION DOLLARS! (pinky in corner of mouth)

·
Registered
120 Posts
That sounds like a sweet tank.

I have also heard about the tank truck. I read a journal somewhere about a guy that bought one of these tanks and picked it up at one of these meeting spots. The cops were called because some people thought it looked a little shady. A bunch of people unloading large glass tanks off a back of a truck in some random parking lot.

·
regulator
928 Posts
glasscages.com is another outfit that makes custom tanks and is closer to my neck of the woods.
I didnt get glass from them, but I did get several acrylic cubes made about a year ago which were 24x24x17 tall. They hold about 40Gallons.

for the plants I keep, shallow works out better and I really like the 24x24 footprint.
Multiples of that are my favorite tank shape, especially when working with Metal Halide pendants.

·
regulator
928 Posts
yes, and some people have knocked glasscages quality but I cant find a specific thread at the moment. In my case very happy - no leaks or defects, knock on wood. And they are very affordable.

I've never tried their glass tanks though.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've definitely heard stories too. But lots of people also saying they've never had problems. Definitely worth paying more and having a little more piece of mind

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well this isn't glass cages. I do agree that the warranty is awfully short. That does bother me a little. Their customer service is great. I'll let you know how the tank looks when the tank arrives.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Here is my experience with glasscages.com.... http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...07-rimless-75-gallon-close-loop-filter-2.html

You are going to want to read this...I forgot how bad my experience with them actually was until I read it all over again...lol.

They are a little shady, but cheap. Only deal with them if you can't afford to spend a lot of money.

NOW I WANT A CUBE TANK...thanks Tex gal! :)
I'm excited to see you scape yours!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Nice Tank Matt. I see what you mean...silicone work is sloppy. Looks like the place Texgal is ordering from has good solid work. We'll soon see.

BTW - Nice job on building your stand! That was really nice

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Matt - just reread your thread again. Your tank looks so nice. I'd like to see it with the new fish and plants.

I also read the threads about Glasscages.com customer service. That's one of the reasons we didn't want to go with them. I sure hope this is a nice tank.

Does anyone know if this was the company that had the big cube tank for sale at the AGA conference?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts