• RO no-no

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you use RO in your planted tanks?

I have a unit that I use for water in my reef and have been using RO exclusively since I got back into the plants. I reconsitute it with RO Rite (Kent, bought a bunch a long time ago and am still using the same jar.) I think this may just be a waste of water and time, though. Phosphate is not that high in my area, although I believe chloramines are used seasonally. I am thinking about just going tap or maybe a mix of the two - the hardness I am (re)adding is already in there. Our water comes right from the Mississippi anyway, but I haven't seen a report in the last couple years.

What do you all think? If you don't use RO, what do you do to condition it (if anything)? If you do use RO, what are your reasons for using it? What do you do to re-con?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Nothing but. Water sourced from a well, local substrate is known for high quality dolomite and limestone.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I use straight tap in all my tanks. Charlotte's got some of the softest water I've ever seen. Generally I'd say that RO is a waste of time and money. Diana Walstad's tanks are at a GH of 17 and she grows the healthiest plants I've seen. All that extra Ca and Mg is great for the plants. If you're into soft water fish, then sure, mix a little RO with it. Otherwise there's not much of a need.

Best,
Phil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts