Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a hard time getting my Driftwood to look how i want right now so i am going to use rocks to accent it so the driftwood wont look so funny. Most of my rocks are large granite smooth peices. Is it bad to mix and match smooth of the same rock with more rugged? I am saying this because i want to smash the rocks so they fit better.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I guess that depends on a number of things Shane. In nature, you could frequiently see a smooth stone right next to a rough, jagged stone however I believe that the reason you will notice it is because it stands out a bit. You eye picks up on a subtle change and then focuses on it. I think mixing smooth and rough "generally" would not work but you might be suprised. Give it a shot and see how it looks:) Personally I believe that rough looks a bit better but that is meerly my opinion.

One thing to keep in mind is that no matter how natural an aquarum looks, it is not a direct scene from nature. Even biotope tanks are much nicer than a "slice" from the river. Also, everyone's goal in creating an aquascape is different. I prefer my tanks to look natural and serene. Lush and calmning. Amano's tanks tend to look a bit "fantasy" like to me. Same as James Hoftiezer's tanks. Remember his "Sleepy Hollow". Although, both of those are very calming too. I think these tanks are very dynamic and they certainly very impressive and I can only dream of creating something as nice as those. Now, lets continue to use Amano as an example and I will say the the reason is tanks all looks so "natural" flowing and harmonious is because EVERYTHING is in its place. THe rocks, wood, plants even the fish are in there exact place in the tank. His tanks all in many ways, are perfect. Atleast in respect to where everything is. The golden rule and all the proper proportions are utilized in his tanks and many forms of the visual arts that we westerners usually don't understand all lend themselves and influence his tanks. In an aquascape, as wiht any art form, a single thing slightly out of place can draw the eye and create an imbalance in the mind. A rock or even a stem pointing awry can be "confussing".

I guess what I am trying to say is you must try and try to find what works best. The only way to see if something looks ok is to actually see it first hand. Put them in the tank or at least play around with them on a towel or piece of cardboard with the same footprint as your tank. Can you post some pics? It would be nice to see your tanks:) Be patient, step back and look at your layout then make small adjustments and try again until YOU like it. That is the important part to me. I don't care really what others think or how well it could do in a contest, I have to live wiht it and see it everyday. I enjoy it. It makes me happy:)

Hope that was atleast a bit useful. I know i have a tendency to rample occasoinally:)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand and will break up some rocks tonight :). If you want i can keep you posted on how it looks.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I would like that. I really think that these discussions on technique even personal asthetics are very benificial. I find that I learn a lot by forcing my self to thing about things. Open discussions about each other's tanks I believe is one of the best ways to learn. Its like brainstorming to me. I usually try not to tell others what to do but often I get ideas for myself when talking with others.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took some of the rounded stones and broke them up. It was very hard to get them to break as i wanted. I ended up just using Quarters of the rock in an effort to create the illusion of debth in my tank. I covered them with Anubias Nana 'narrow' and 'petite'. I am happy that i did break them up because the other peices were too overpowering. I dont have any pictures sorry. The roughed up side does look much more natural.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts