Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Here's what I found during last weekend's rock hunting trip. I personally like the character of the rocks, nice distinct shapes; they appear to be perfect candidates for my still_in_planning_stage 120P iwagumi.

Can anyone help identify the rock and more importantly would it be safe for aquarium use. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
those are nice rocks, lots of 'character'. I can't identify the type of rocks, but if you want to see if they will affect the GH of your tank you can get a strong acid and see if it 'sizzles' when you pour it on the rock. People use muriatic acid from pool supply stores, but I've find the easiest way to obtain a strong acid is to get 'pH Down' from your LFS - it is basically sulfuric acid and works for this purpose.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the direction Hooha, if you don't mind I have a couple of follow-ups

Does the acid test yield a Yes/No type answer?
I.e. If the rock sizzles then it's a No for aquarium, otherwise it's a Yes?
Or is it more of a it depends type answer? if it sizzles, then you'll have to take these remedies before using it in an aquarium?

-Riverboa

·
Registered
271 Posts
Nice rocks you got there. The texture looks really good. I hope it looks good underwater.

I may be wrong but I do know that if it sizzles it means that the the calcium levels are high in that rock, also it might raise Ph. It doesn't mean you can't use it but in planted Aquariums you want a more lower Ph. Good luck and hope they turn out GTU "positive." lol

GTU- Good To Use

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
If it 'sizzles' then it has calcium carbonate in it. It will raise your GH (and I think KH) and will cause havoc with your tank parameters, especially if you add CO2.

On another note, if it sizzles and you want to use it in an aquarium with minimal plants and fish that prefer a higher GH (e.g. African cichlids) then it would be fine to use.

People recommend scrubbing the rocks well, typically with a wire brush and boiling the rocks or pouring boiling water over them to remove possible contaminants/critters before adding it to your tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts