Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is in the process of hardscaping a new 29g. She wants to make a dramatic aquascape using gravel and dragonstone. She wants to take advantage of the height of the tank my making the hardscaping tall as well. I'm concerned that the weight of all of that rock and gravel might pose a breakage problem to the bottom of the tank. Does anybody know how much weight a 29g can handle? So far, we estimate that she might have as much as 40-50lbs before any water is added. I've seen a general rule of a pound per gallon. Is that accurate?

Steve

·
Registered
38 Posts
I see that your post was in January. Did you ever get an answer to your question?

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Rocks vary a lot in their density. The lower their density the more they are buoyed up by the displaced water. I have always assumed there is a limit on the weight of hardscape we can use before risking a broken bottom glass, but I don't recall ever seeing a number for what that limit is. One of the mechanical engineers or students here should be able to calculate what the maximum load a plate of glass can hold.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts