Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you control the roots that some call 'aerial roots' that form above the substrate on stem plants?
In my tank once they have formed they become big and ugly --- quite the nuisance.
I always end up yanking all the plants and snipping and replanting.
This is most prevailent with my narrow leaf ludwigia.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Fighting them would be a loosing battle since they are every bit as natural as the leaves. Generally, the most practical solution is to grow something shorter in front of the understory of the Ludwigia to obscure what you can of the axillary roots.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I do that with a chunk of Java fern on a piece of bogwood. I didnt know if there was any other way of handling the issue.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Try making fun of the plants until they feel so self-conscious about them that they quick growing auxillary roots...

Seriously though, I wonder if you continuously trimmed the plants below the roots (like trimming aerial leaves) if they would quick growing them? You would probably be left with just a short plant though, or my luck, you would have them root below the cut lines. I never see amano plants with trailing roots...

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Nothing you can do about them Newt. :( Some folks have claimed that by altering nutrients, they can control them somewhat, but I'm skeptical about that. Different stems vary in how many aerial roots they put out, try to find the ones that do it the least for you, and go with those. For me, I have found that L. repens to be one of the most prolific root sprouters, while I've never seen any in my L. aromatica.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My God.
This post is sooooooo old >>> 10-17-2008.:eek:

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just noticed that! That's what happens when you're not yet awake and get on the computer. :rolleyes:
Been there. Done that.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts