Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting a pressurized CO2 system for my 50 gallon tank that's right next to the one attached... I am going to put a splitter on there so I can have CO2 running in both tanks. I was wondering if y'all would think a wall of Rotala walachii would look good behind the C. balansae on the right side of the tank. I only plan on chucking in about 2 or 3 bunches, enough to make 6" wide bundle to accent some of the rocks in that area. I thought that particular plant would look nice with the bronze of the crypts and the leaf shape would really provide some contrast. I have 90 watts of normal flourescent light over the tank, which is 14" tall. I don't currently fertilize the tank because it's all crypts and my substrate is fertilized (Onyx Sand).

Let me know what you guys think, or if there's another plant that would work better... I thought maybe something that's bright green would be a good addition instead of the Rotala, but I'm not sure. (I also am not very familiar with fine-leaved bright green plants, so scientific names would be a great help)

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/centromochlus_perugiae/detail?.dir=/b50d&.dnm=f117.jpg

If someone wants to put the pic up on this thread for me, that would be great. I have terrible luck trying to figure out such things.:)

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I think the spring-like, flashy colors of Rotala wallichii would clash with the subdued colors of the Cryptocorynes. As is, I wouldn't be trying to catch too much attention to that corner of the aquarium.

An excellent light green plant is Hemianthus micranthemoides. For something larger leaved, Hygrophila corymbosa v siamensis fits the bill.

Perhaps some nice dark green Java moss around the driftwood?

Carlos

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your response, guys. I've only seen the Rotala as a darker red, so I guess that's what I'm looking for. Yes, I have SAE, but I'm going to give them to a friend of mine because they're not doing their jobs (fish food tastes better) and they annoy me... I'm not a big fan.

The micramoides wouldn't work in that tank because the light is high enough that it most likely wouldn't stand up in the space that I need it to. I was also trying to shoot for a SE Asian plant, just to keep the theme going; I have four cherry barbs in there right now and will probably add some different Rasbora species.

Now that I think about it more, I'd really like to find a light green plant instead of red or pink for that area of the tank. I will also shift some of the crypts around because they're starting to look a little flat in the front... part of the reason why I wanted to add a stem plant is to fix the two-dimensional-ness of the design.

So, does anyone have recommendations for a light green plant from Southeast Asia? (I'm also not a huge fan of hygro species, just to make this more fun. ;)) Thanks in advance for the input.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Unless you want to get something really rare, there isn't much variety for southeast Asian stem plant other than the four red Rotalas and the Hygrophilas. :)

There is the Limnophila genus, with the most commonly available plants being L. sessiliflora (Asian Ambulia) and L. aquatica (giant ambulia). The L. aquatica is a very pretty, bright green.

If you can find it, Rotala sp Nanjenshan is another plant from Asia that could work.

And that's about it for light green stem plants.

Carlos

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's kinda what I was thinking, but I thought I'd ask just in case someone else thought of a plant that I couldn't think of. I have a ton of experience with the standard beginner plants, but not a whole lot with the plants that aren't extremely common.

Thanks for the help, guys... I'll probably dig up some Limnophila somewhere and give it a try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts