Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the LFS wasn't sure what species of Rotala it was so they gave me a discount. It seems like a variation of Macrandra but anyhow. When I planted it, a small stem broke off and I proceeded to toss it in the gravel. Well, now its acting like a creeper. Has anyone grown it like this? Think I can train a bunch of cuttings to cover my foreground?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
It really doesn't look like Rotala at all to me. It is a little out of focus, but it looks most like Hygrophila polysperma. Given some room to spread and some CO2, H. polysperma will grow horizontally. Hope you got a big discount!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yup, I triple the polysperma vote.

For me polysperma would grow horizontally, but fill up vertically as well. So it didn't remain a low, foreground type plant, but turned into a chaotic hedge.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well it came off this plant...

or maybe it was just a drift of scrap, regardless, i have placed some other shoots in the foreground to see if they act similarly. It is an otto, not sure a particular variety however I have noticed they look different than others i have seen pictures of. I will snag the digital SLR camera from work with a tripod and try to document these better. The bow front doesn't help either :(

·
Registered
676 Posts
Well, the main plant looks like Rotala rotundifolia. But the small cutting's leaves look too long to be that. Did it actually break off, or was it just a piece of stem that was caught in the bunch?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Im not sure but the otto in the picture looks like a "bulldog otto" that my lfs sold me. Until the day I bought it, I had never heard of a bulldog. It stays very small and eats most algae.

MantisX

·
Registered
676 Posts
After a quick GIS, it looks to be one of these, Otocinclus sp. '*****'.

Babel Fish translation:

Undemanding kind from cooler Paraguay and Argentina. The temperature in the basin should not exceed 24°C, become higher temperatures to bear at short notice. Female nearly twice as largely like males. To the breed is to be paid attention to current and frequent water changes. Laichverhalten similarly that the Panzerwelse. Or several float a laichvolles . Eggs do not remain on the spot (plants, disk, wood and other Dekogegenstaende) and any more are umgebettet. Parents do not touch the Laich. Raising is relatively simple with ground flake fodder and TK Raedertierchen. After 3-4 months the young animals are attained full growth.
LG 2

This Otocinclen was one of my first fish. Unfortunately I have only two of them (meanwhile over 4 years old), but if everything folds, I will be able to acquire soon a larger group.

In the trade they are often sold as Otocinclus ******, or also brown Otocinclus, in addition, the designations LG2 and KBO (small brown Oto) are to be found not rare.

These small associate come from Paraguay and that to northern Argentina and like somewhat cooler temperatures between 20 and 24 °Grad.

I keep it momentarily somewhat warmer, but 60's soon your new is to become at home, with them adapted the temperatures.

With their only scarcely 3 cm is indeed not straight large it and them loves it in leaves too stoebern. Also vegetables such as cucumber, paprika or also more rarely times gefr. black mosquito larvae see them gladly on their food plan. I look forward already to see it finally again in the troop. If everything folds, then it is to become around the 15 animals...

·
Registered
16 Posts
For me, it seems to be more a fish from genus Paraotocinclus
Remembers a lot an Otocinclus, but it seems to grow a little more and has more visible brown spots covering his body from all sides

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I have a group of these Oto's and they are often referred to as the "Niger Oto", or scientifically the Hisonotus Leucofrenatus.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts